Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pic programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

trennonix

hello, i got a DIY K128 pic programmer which was working beautifully a day ago,
but now it doesn't recognise the chip
i don't think it's from the actual chip

any ideas? appreaciate it.

Yeah, figure out what you changed to make it not work =) and don't say nothing because obviously something changed. Verify all your connections your power and software settings.

i didn't do anything that i can remember, but even if i did, there's no reason for MicroPro to stop recognizing my chip.

i'm starting to think it's hardware problem, but then again it was working fine and i used it under normal circumstances

did you program the chip? I just went through this and it was because I had programmed the chip and disabled some items that made my programmer unable to recognize the chip.

I see the K128 is a USB programmer, so not sure how that might affect it as well....are you using the 16F628 chip?

yes i did , it's a pic16F84A , what kind of items did you uncheck?

and if i did uncheck smthing, it should at least recognise it (even if i have enabled code protection for eg it should recognise the chip)

Here is what I was told:

Nigel Goodwin said:
PIC's are incredibly sturdy devices, it's VERY rare to either get a duff one, or damage one.

Far more likely is that you've set the internal oscillator (as all my 16F628 tutorials do), and your programmer is unable to cope with that - as some poor programmers can't do so.

My solution was to hold pin 4(on my 16F648A) from receiving power until right before I try to erase the chip. Once erased it works just fine as normal until I program it again.

It is this line that seems to cause the chip to not be recognized.:
Code:
	__config 0x3D18			;sets the configuration settings (oscillator type etc.)

ok, then i'll find to what pin4 on 16F648A corresponds on my 16f84a and try what you did, wish me luck!

i'll tell you the results

still nothing :(

so i isolate pin4, then i click erase on MicroPro, it asks for my confirmation to earse, and then it tells me that it doesn't recognise my chip,
i connect the pin and tell it to erase? or is there somehting missing?

I don't think you have the same problem I did. I connected a switch to pin 4, so i could activate it right before I erased the chip. This stopped the program from trying to run while I was programming it. Once erased I had no issues.

I don't know much about programming and PICS and such....still a newbie....but this is what I figured out last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back