Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC programmer and tester (POLL)

How much are people willing to pay for a PIC programmer and tester board?

• Dont want one!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • £0 to £5

• £5 to £10

• £10 to £15

• £15 to £20

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

andy.davies

this is a preliminary survay for my college project, wourking out how popular a cheap pic programmer and tester board would be. here are what the board featuires will be:

Programms all pic chips
tests all pic chips
set of switches for each port
set of LED's for each port
Anaglogue inputs (undecided amount)
a 38Khz TX and RX (for use with testing)
Expansion facility
Parrallel port programming

Before polling, I would like you to clarify one thing. Will the programmer have a universal ZIF socket in which all PICs will be programmed or a different socket/adapter for each new PIC one can imagine. I just hate adapters.

And one more thing, why have you chosen parallel port? That's other thing I don't like to use because of very short cable length that it supports inspite of using buffers. RS232 rules over 15m radius :D and RS485 over 1.2 km. This doesn't mean that I wish to place my programmer hundreds of meters away from my PC, but the above figures reveals the noise immunity of parallel port. Its very very poor. I have spent months debugging one of my programmer circuit and finally found that the 3m parallel scanner cable that I was using was the cause of trouble. :( Reducing it to 1.5m solved it.

yes, universal ZIF socket was the idea, i should have made this clear. and i chose parallel, because of very fast programming times <1 second 90% of the time :D

andy.davies said:
yes, universal ZIF socket was the idea, i should have made this clear. and i chose parallel, because of very fast programming times <1 second 90% of the time :D

A PIC programmer is useless unless it has good software supporting it.
A parallel programmer does not support any 8 pin chips or memories.

So:
I would like to see a serial programmer that supports ICSP (including doing the rb4 bit to ground), and, most importantly, decent software that supports it and ALL the latest pics.
The problem is that on my present application, I spent more time arsing around trying to figure out how to configure the programmer for a new PIC type than on the application itself.

Mark K.

MarkKA said:
PIC programmer is useless unless it has good software supporting it.

P16Pro40 is a parallel programmer with support for 8pin chips ....

Exo said:
MarkKA said:
PIC programmer is useless unless it has good software supporting it.

P16Pro40 is a parallel programmer with support for 8pin chips ....

Yes, what I mean is that a PURELY parallel programmer design wouldn't support 8pin chips....
Mark K.

sorry, little bit of confusion there, i thought that P19PRO40 was a piece of software, not hardware,this is good, i already have it :D . and i am going to try using winpicprog aswell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back