Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic prgrammer and software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chippie

Here's a couple of good links to the above:

software:

hardware:**broken link removed**

see the picture below

I have some pcb's available if anyone wants to build one....these programmers are great for the 12Cxxxand 16C/F series......

rgds Chip

Attachments

• JDMPic.jpg
    JDMPic.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 4,321
how about a schematic for the programmer, or some software.
oops. you already gave the links....
i wanna ask something about the second prog. it says: "it works with RS-232 levels at only < ±8.6V."
i am not sure about what that means, and how do i know what voltage i have at my serial port?

I use a standard 9pin m-f lead into my pc's serial port 8)

Works for me

thanks, but still one question......
what is the problem with that voltage? it says
"it works with RS-232 levels at only < ±8.6V."
what does it mean?

Ahhh.......sorry misunderstood your question......

The design of the programmer is such that it will work with pc's whose serial ports have signal levels down to approx 8 volts.......the normal RS232 signals are 12v in amplitude under normal circumstances......hence the designs unorthodox approach to deriving the 13v necessary for the MCLR pin on the pic. The pic needs 13v at its MCLR pin to enter the program mode..

Hope this clarifies your question..... :)

Are you using a laptop or pc ?

If you measure the voltage levels on the pins you should see around 12v on the RTS pin, pin 7 on a 9 pin D type or pin 4 for the 25 way D type...

and ........ if you run the programmer software you should see the various pins changing state too......( you dont need a programmer to be connected to try this)

If the MCLR pin needs 13v to enter the program mode and the serial port gives down to 8v then how the pic is going to enter the program mode?

matasoft said:
If the MCLR pin needs 13v to enter the program mode and the serial port gives down to 8v then how the pic is going to enter the program mode?

The circuit uses the various signals from the com port to derive the necessary voltages......have a look at the website, and the circuit description, for a better idea 8)

Suffice to say, I've built several of these programmers for others and all work well......... :lol:

ok, another question related to the programmer, i have build the PCB with the serial connector on it. but i want just to connect a cable to the programmer and have a serial connector to it wich will plug in the computer. how are the pins placed on the board. some numbering would be great.

The pin layout on the board is exactly tha same pin out as for the pin out
of the 9 pin D type.......

ok, another question, the resistor like component on the bottom of the board is actually a zero resistance right? so can i replace it with a piece of wire?

most definitley........ 8)

If you read the test accompanying the programmer there is a list of supported devices, eeprom are among them :lol:

novice question

Hi,

I've been reading your thread. Am I to understand that the small programmer which fits in a baby's palm is all that i needed to program a 16fxx chip? This is most amazing, i mean, does it replace the pic starter kit for example? What software do you use with it?
Thanks
Barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back