Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC power consumption with internal rc

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaKandEKid

I was planning on using a PIC 12cxx microcontroller for an application where low power consumption is very important.

Timing isn't critical so i was planning on using the internal 4 Mhz clk.

From the datasheet it says that current consumption is about 1mA at 4 Mhz.

So i'm wondering if i used an external xtal if that would greatly reduce power consumption into the uA range.

Also, i believe there is some type of prescaler for the clock. If i used it to bring the operating frequency down to 32kHz would that decrease power consumption.

Basically i'm trying to find out what is the best oscillator to use to minimize power consumption when timing isn't critical and an operating frequency of 32k is plenty fast.

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back