Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Micros: Best Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Q__Hybrid

I'm looking at using PIC Micros for my project, but I don't know which language would be best to use.

I know Assembler is a standard, but it seems hard to understand. Are there many resources on how to create PIC applications in ASM, or is it strictly for pro-level developers?

I know, total newb. I'll learn, I swear.

+Q__

this topic has been debate hundereds of times on this forum and other forums. just like the discussions about PIC Vs AVR or Windows Vs Linux or Intel Vs AMD, this discussion also has no conclusion.

it all depends on you. basic knowledge of assembly is a must. it isnt just for pro-level developer. its for those who want to squeeze each and every ounce of computing power from a PIC microcontroller.

the difference of opinion comes mainly when people ask which language is better Basic or C? well the truth is that it depends on you the programmer. if you know basic then thats good for u and if u know C then C is good for u. i believe that you are familiar with basic (right?). so basic is what you should stick to.

but believe me if you want a career in embedded systems then C definitely looks good on a CV. the reason is that C is a very flexible language and it runs on a variety of different platforms. so if you have time then also learn C. but if that isnt a concern to you then dont go into learning a whole new language.

i hope that helps

Well lets see

I have experience in C, assembly and BASIC. Ive used all 3...
C has been used for so many years by the industry .. Its quite possible that C pre-dates most ppl on this forum (just to give u an idea of its age, and it is still used today to some extent). SO it is probably worht while learning C. I've never used C to program pics though. i'm yet to go there.
If the choice were C and basic.. i'd go for C, just because companys ask for that as a ASSET. Never seen them request for BASIC programming knowledge. (i've been applying for alot of Elec Engineering jobs lately, so i'll tell u for sure, they for C more than they do BASIC).

AFter you learn a couple languages, you'll realize alot of them have the same stuff, but varying in syntax and extra functions. So its not difficult to learna new one once you have learnt one as a base..

i am new to PIC's but not new to assembly. I've done assembly for the 8051 microcontroller. Assembly isnt difficult to read or learn either. BUt it is a lower level programming language. what takes you like 4 lines of code in a high level language will take like 10 lines for assembly. YOu have to account for more things. But like the previous post says, it is very much more compact with the limited space on the PIC. WHen it comes to microcontrollers and embedded systems, assembly seems to be the way to go.

hope that helps ur decision.

I would recommend starting out using some form of Basic. It is relatively easy to learn compared to your other options and allows you to create some pretty nice programs. You can do a lot of things in Basic. Basic has been around for quite some time and you should have no problem finding people to help you.

After you have become familiar with programming PICs in Basic, I would recommend that you grab a book or two (and surf the web for sites pertaining to) Assembly for PIC microcontrollers. This is the native language of the microcontroller and you will find that you will be able to communicate much better with them in the long run if you learn it. Is it difficult to learn? Eh. More so than Basic or C, but only because it's a foreign language and it takes that you think differently about at what you are looking. Basic and C were created to be generally human readable. You might also have an easier time with Assembly once you've had some programming in Basic beneath your belt.

After you've been programming in Basic for a while and learning Assembly as you go, I would recommend moving to C and using either C or Assembly (or both) for nearly everything that you do. C is a much more robust language than Basic and as such, it'll allow you to "tweak" things more than you can with Basic. Consequentially there is also more to learn when it comes to C, but you'll already have the programming fundamentals down by having done Basic and Assembly for a while. C is also very popular for programming anything from PIC microcontrollers up through CPUs and you should find no shortage of information. C is, basically, the "industry standard" when it comes to programming microcontrollers and processors.

Now... Having said that. I'm a Pascal guy. But that's because I've been using it since it's creation back in the DOS days and I have a longstanding relationship with Borland Inprise (who've spent many years developing and distributing Pascal and, later, ObjectPascal). Pascal has never been as popular as either Basic or C, especially when it comes to microcontrollers, and, as such, I cannot recommend it to anyone who has not had a lot of prior experience. Information may be hard to come by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back