Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pic Kit 3 or Junebug, which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rackflot

I have been looking at getting an ICD for my Lab X-1 dev board to help in debugging. Microchip has come out with Pickit3. It comes with sw and support.

Looking at other alternatives the Junebug may have more functionality. But there is really not a good comparison between the two:

1. Features, a vs b
2. SW, included or proprietary? Which on has better tools? Will all microchip sw work with Junebug?
3. Cost (pickit3 may be a tad more expensive)
4. Support of pic micros, is there a good list?

I need a deciding factor on which one to buy, this will do it. :eek:

The PK3 is almost double the price of my Junebug. I've not used one and I'm biased towards my kits so I can't give you an unbiased opinion.

The Junebug was designed as a Student / Experimenter / Hobbiest tool as it has a "lite" version of the PK2 (non programmable VDD or built in EEPROM)
it's far and away our most popular kit and is MPLAB compatible.

I own an ICD2, PICkt 2, PICStart+ and it's my Junebug I use the most.

Well, I own 3 PicStarts, one ICD2 and a Junebug. I'm with Bill and use the Junebug most.

Mike.

You said
"The PK3 is almost double the price of my Junebug. I've not used one and I'm biased towards my kits so I can't give you an unbiased opinion.

The Junebug was designed as a Student / Experimenter / Hobbiest tool as it has a "lite" version of the PK2 (non programmable VDD or built in EEPROM)
it's far and away our most popular kit and is MPLAB compatible.

I own an ICD2, PICkt 2, PICStart+ and it's my Junebug I use the most."

What is the lite version of the PK2 mean? Does the internal NVM allow this to store a program and reprogram modules standalone?

If i was running MPLAB, is there any perceivable difference?

I will be using the 16F877 to proto my projects then moving to the optimum version of micro.

The only real drawback to the Junebug is that you need to make a simple add on circuit to program 3.3V parts.

Other then that it works like the PICkit2. It even uses the PICkit2 software which is maintained and updated by microchip. MPLAB does not know the differance between the PICkit2 and the Junebug.

It is even possible to convert the Junebug into at serial analyzer using instructions provided by Bill in another post. All you have to do is program a new PIC and swap it for the existing one. This is more difficult to do with the genuine PICkit2.

Yes the "Program to Go" feature is gone on the Junebug (no EEPROMs). You could add EEPROMs as the I2C connections on the 18F2550 can be found on the long 16 inline connector along the top of the Junebug.

Speed wise (programming & debugging) the PK2 and Junebug are identical.

hi,
The big advantage of 'Bill's stuff is that you can ask him any question directly and get a fast response to any query you may have.:)

The only real drawback to the Junebug is that you need to make a simple add on circuit to program 3.3V parts.

I have been looking for that (link?) for a while... the only one I saw this far at mcuhobby was drawn up, but the author said was not proven. I have got a coupla 24FJ parts I will be messing with later this year.

Also, will the add on circuit just program (by merely clamping 5v down to 3v3), or is it properly bidirectional and will allow you to debug and send data from the pic to the PC?

Many 3.3V PICs have 5V tolerant I/O pins. If the programming pins are among them you can simply connect the Junebug to the PIC. The target will need its own 3.3V supply though.

If the programming pins are among them

What does this mean? You have done this sucessfully? I know about pins being 5V tolerant, but does this mean that you can program, verify and/or debug in this fashion? For each device I must look up the programming pics by reading the datasheet. Fine. Is it (5v input tolerance) specced ( or doable ) under programming conditions? As long as it is doable under hobby conditions I am fine with that, but it is all rather vague to me.

The $ dropping 25% recently is so sweet, but still I am constrained by high shipping charges and customs as well. I would rather build a clone, but can't get full clarification on the 3v3 thing.

I am on the RobotShop site and the price is $39.68 (Creatron on ebay was $50 plus shipping o4 8 or 12 bucks)

This line was included.

Supports both MPLAB IDE 8.x and standalone PICKit2 software
Is there custom standalone software that comes with the Pickit 2 and 3 that provides more functionality?

OK. I believe i have enough information.

I ordered a junebug from RobotsUS. it was $39.95 plus $7 shipping. The kit will be fun to build.

So from your last post, Bill, the PK2 does not have any special or licensed sw that is different that what is available with MPLAB.

They are backordered and it may take some time. I am brushing off my PIC Lab x-1 and am moving from picbasicpro to the HiTech C that comes with the MPLAB IDE.

I am also investigating the Hi Tide app from Hi Tech. uses some wizards to setup the initial files. I am converting the pbp demo files that came with the x1 board to C as a learning tool. I hope to be able to post them one day here. thanks for all your help...

As with most clones / compatible makers I don't license their software but the hex file (part of MPLAB) and the tools are freely available from Microchip.

Make sure to download the PICkit2 2.61 software, C18 SE & Swordfish BASIC SE too. Of course you can stick with HiTech C too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back