Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC Hanging...PSU/Interface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stef

I'm using a video overlay unit (Xbob from Decade Engineering) together with a PIC 16F627,max232 chip & single channel remote gate TX/RX as a simple "on screen egg timer". The remote is just to activate the timer. The PIC is connected to the overlay unit via an rs232 connection and just sends the strings/commands to the unit.

The overlay unit runs on 12V & the PIC on 5V of course. I'm using a SMPS with dual outputs & common ground. The problem is that the PIC hangs up as soon as the overlay unit is swithed on. I have to leave the power switch of the overlay unit in the on position and switch the whole lot on simultaneously from the wall socket to get it working; and sometimes a few times at that. Once it is working, it operates fine for a few hours, & then the PIC hangs again.

Could it be because of the different PSU voltages or because the signal Gnd is the same as the PSU Gnd? I know it is not the remote as it happens when I use a pushbutton too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back