Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC and rf modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptewright

Hi,

I have two sets of led arrays. I would like to be able to turn these arrays on/off from a remote location. So I guess that I will be needing a set of transmitter/receiver for the control unit, and then 2 other receivers for the led arrays. I am thinking of using a PIC microprocessor for the control. Do I also need a PIC for the receiving sides? I am new at this rf stuff!!!!
Someone suggested me to use Laipac's rpl434a and tlp434a as the rf modules, because they are cheap. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they reliable in outdoor environments? If you have some sort of sample C or ASM code, it would help me a lot... :oops:
Also, how will I be able to differentiate which of the 2 receivers that the control unit wants to talk to?

ptewright said:
Hi,

I have two sets of led arrays. I would like to be able to turn these arrays on/off from a remote location. So I guess that I will be needing a set of transmitter/receiver for the control unit, and then 2 other receivers for the led arrays. I am thinking of using a PIC microprocessor for the control. Do I also need a PIC for the receiving sides? I am new at this rf stuff!!!!
Someone suggested me to use Laipac's rpl434a and tlp434a as the rf modules, because they are cheap. Does anyone have experience with them? Are they reliable in outdoor environments? If you have some sort of sample C or ASM code, it would help me a lot... :oops:
Also, how will I be able to differentiate which of the 2 receivers that the control unit wants to talk to?

You don't, each receiver receives all transmissions, but the PIC fed from each receiver looks for a specific code before it responds.

If you're only wanting simple ON/OFF type commands Holtek make a range of cheap easy to use preprogrammed chips to do the job, you can select different addresses for them for the two receivers.

Nigel Goodwin said:
If you're only wanting simple ON/OFF type commands Holtek make a range of cheap easy to use preprogrammed chips to do the job, you can select different addresses for them for the two receivers.
The datasheet for the rf modules I have do suggest that I use some decoder and encoder chips from Holtek. Is that what you are referring to? According to the datasheet, "the address/data bits are transmitted along with header bits via RF..." I'm not sure that I understood that properly. Does it mean that by setting different header bits, I can then use the PIC to differentiate which receiver I want to receive the data? But from looking at the schematic, it doesn't seem like there are any I/Os to set those header bits.......
I'm confused...........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back