Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC 32 new project

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to develop a test box with allot of serial and spi ports. So the chip that seems to meet all requirements is PIC32MX340F128L-80I/PT-ND. What is a good compiler that can be used in debugging mode with MPLAB.

I am trying to develop a test box with allot of serial and spi ports. So the chip that seems to meet all requirements is PIC32MX340F128L-80I/PT-ND. What is a good compiler that can be used in debugging mode with MPLAB.
If I'm not wrong, any compiler for PIC32 that can be used with MPLAB can debug. Of course there others..
Hi-Tech C - HI-TECH C Compiler for PIC32 MCUs compiler and embedded software tools for the Microchip PICMicro
Microchip C32 - **broken link removed**

HTH

Last edited:
Your problably right about all compliers and MPLAB, some work better than others. I would think the Microchip compiler is designed to work more closely with the debugger because they have the same designer, when stepping through on the code. I guess more or less I am asking what are the pro's and cons of each other than cost.

Yeah, use Microchip's compiler and MPLAB.

Why the PIC32? It's kind of a "bleeding edge". The problem here is they're still quite expensive and only come in fine-pitch SMD pkgs which are hard to mount. They take a lot of current at full speed and have an unfortunately high SLEEP current that can cause problems for battery operation. More of a problem, there's just not a large body of software and code designed specifically for it.

Fine IF you need it. If you want to build typical amateur projects, it's unlikely there is a need for its features and thus it could be a bad choice. PIC18F series does a LOT and it's very well supported. There are certainly high pin count PIC18's, if you need a high pincount device for something.

The dsPIC33 series is great for a bit more "punch". The 16-bit architecture and the DSP core can do things you just can't do with an 18F like audio processing, and do it very well. And there's lots of code available to do neat things with the DSP core. But the PIC32, I'm just having a hard time seeing what an amateur would need it for. The 32-bit architecture won't mean much for typical users. In fact, lacking a DSP core, it's not as capable as the dsPIC33 series for many "neat" apps.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back