PIC 18F97J60 ethernet won't fire up - is RBias value critical?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deweyusa

Hi

I have a PIC 18F97J60 on a custom board that I've been trying to get the ethernet up and running on for a while, and it just won't cooperate. By "running", I mean simply responding with TX/RX lights on the jack.

The controller is being programmed just fine, and other GPIOs are working. When the firmware is loaded on a PICDEM.net 2 board, the lights on its ethernet jack fire up as expected, right when a cat 5 cable between the board and a router is plugged into it.

On my design, however, no luck as yet. The aforementioned router is not detecting my custom board either.

So, a couple questions. First, anything specific to target? One thing I notice is that the RBias resistor is a fairly precise value in the datasheet - 2.26K I think. I'm trying to get away with something like 2.2 K. How critical is this value, and could that be my problem?

Also, I'm using a different ethernet jack than the reference design, with a couple swapped pins, but from what I can tell, the internals of my jack are the same as the original jack with just a different pinout. Is there anything special I would need to know about the differences between ethernet jacks with internal magnetics?

Thanks for any help!
-Dewey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…