PIC 16F84A Clock Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

aevans17

Hi am very new at pic programming and I am just trying to get my first pick project to work. I have the Introduction to Pic Programming programmer board from Kitsrus.com. I assembled the board and compiled and ran the test program using MPLAB from Microchip. I then tried to build a more complicated circuit on a bread board and I could not get it to run correctly. I realized that the test circuit that comes on my programmer board had a RC clock circuit that was controlling the clock. I attempted to use an RC cuircuit on my bread board, but I could not get it to move past the 1st set of instructions, and now I can not get it to work at all. I then bought a 1.9xxx crystal from a used parts store (I don't know if it works or not) and I connected that as the documentation said and changed the __Config option to use XT and LP modes, but again nothing worked. Can anyone tell/show me how to connect either an RC oscillator or crystal oscillator please. From my test circuit on bread board:

Thanks for the help and sorry if this has already been posted I searched and did not find anything about the 16F84A chip.

it should be all in the datasheet but here are some introductory links:

**broken link removed** ; light chaser using xtall

**broken link removed** ; light chaser using RC osc.

; best project for 16F84

Thanks Panic, I did check the data sheet and configured my test circuit accordingly, but it was not working correctly. I will just keep trying with different components. I will check getting a resonator instead of a crystal with Capacitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…