Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Photographic Ring Flash/light

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulbacca

Hi all,
Please could you have a look at this video. I want to reproduce this ring light.

This guys explanation seems fairly straight forward, however I can't see any use of resistors for these white LEDs which should be at least 3v or 4v. Also I cannot see if these LEDs are parallel or serial. Also he seems to be running 64 LEDs off of 2 or 3 AA batteries. The LEDs can't be getting much power, can they?

Could you please tell me the best way to create this circuit with DC power preferably.

Thanks
Paul

Thunder pretty much said it all. It's just a whole bunch of LED's in parallel.

Just google LED ringlight, there are plenty of other projects out there.

I just want to say, that this is absolutely useless for anything but macro work though. The LED's don't give off near enough light to be useful for anything more than a foot away.

EDIT: Doing a simple google search on 'DIY LED ringlight' this was the third link down, and it even has the schematic in eagle and in an image.
Fuzzcraft.com | Ring light 2.0: 90 LED ring light | Photography, audio and light DIY projects

Last edited:
You could always use 1 watt LED's but that's not so simple to hook up =)

these white LEDs which should be at least 3v or 4v.

Yes, white led's typically have an inherent forward drop of between 3.2V and 3.8V, and 4V is well within the spec at operating current - so this really shouldn't work at all.

In practice, however, I've found some white LED's will operate down to 2.8V, so it's just possible to run them off a pair of fresh AA batteries. Not for very long, though.

The LEDs can't be getting much power, can they?

That style is rated for about 60mW each, so 64 of them would draw nearly 4 watts, total, at about 1.28A.

Since the voltage is very close to the battery voltage and the loading is high, this is one of a few applications where you can run the LED's without a resistor.

Battery life would be lousy, though. The led's aren't going to run at 2.5V, and there is still considerable power left in the AA batteries when they have a loaded voltage of 1.25V each.

Last edited:
I'd use a 3 battery pack and a decent resistor or possibly easier and better a transistor as a current limiter/source

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back