Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

photodiode used for IR variable freq monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydag71

Hi, still trying to design a smart IR ranger for robotics application! Having a hard time understanding a few important things such as a (photo) diode's min/max wavelength and how it relates to the carrier freq of the communicated tx/rx signal? Not even sure about my terminology!, so here is the basic idea...

I want to of course modulate and demod my own custom freq for my sensors ranging,,but as well would like to be able to use the same rx (if possible) to 'look' for commonly employed freq's of other tx's around the sensors, perhaps be able to use the signals if desired, else ignore, compare against own used, compare against other factors perhaps as well. The big question is how to do in small part count (is for mini-sumo)

Maybe a programmable osc controlled by smal pincount pic? Possible to use a dig-pot on the pic's clkout after it has been prescaled/postscaled?

As well I am still having problems with all sorts of other parts of the design, but will leave it at this for now! Much thanks for any tips or tricks! regards, jd

hmmm. maybe an AGC into a low pass filter with a cutoff frequency somewhat above the max modulation frequency you are looking for. Then into a comparator to create the pulse train to measure with your small uC.

However, in my experience, the best use of electronics in a mini sumo is straightforward detection of the opponent and super fast speed. first to detect and strike usually wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back