Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

phantom power in mixing desk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh

G'day

What is phantom power and how does it work? i know it powers microphones and stuff, but don't know how it is "phantom"?!

Josh.

"phantom" supply is a very clean supply for condenser microphones.When You use dynamic type, switch it off.

I believe phantom power is when the cable between the microphone and the mixing deck is driven (I think it is 48V, but I might be wrong). So the microphone gets its power from the supply within the mixing deck. The microphone outputs its signal on the same wire and then the mixing deck AC couples the power/signal wire to get just the signal.

Many accelerometers also work the same way.

Josh, "phantom" refers to the fact that the dc power for the electret/condenser/capacitor microphone is sent to the mic using the audio wires rather than having a separate and dedicated set of power wires. the dc voltage is applied to BOTH of the balanced mic lines, using the ground (shield) as the power return.

I don't know that you need to switch phantom power off when using dynamic mics. Most mixers/preamps lay the phantom dc power onto the audio lines through about 47K ohms of resistance. The electret draws virtually no dc power, so the 47K of isolation is great and should present no problems to the audio from a dynamic mic.

I have yet to see any professional mixer that has the ability to kill phantom power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back