Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PFC and Boost Circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riteet

Hi, I'm pretty new here... College student that works part time as a technician.

I primarily troubleshoot and fix power supplies for telecom switches. I get the idea of PWM and some of the over-V and over-I circuits. But I'm not very farmiliar with the power factor correction portion of the circuit. I get that the general idea is to make the load (the rest of the power supply) look like a simple device, pretty much by aligning I and V.

What I'm not understanding is why there has to be some topology on top of this. In the case of the SMPS that I work on, a boost topology is present.

Also if anyone is farmiliar with the 3854 IC, could they kind of give me a block by block run down? I have a few of the app/desg notes and it seems that the pin functions aren't so clear. Like why do you need a squaring ckt or what is why do you need the AB/C?

Thanks for all help provided, I appriciate it.

Cheers!
Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back