Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Perimeter Kill Switch Device...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs14smith

Does anyone know of a simple device that will allow you to detect if the device you are controlling is near or pass the perimeter you setup? Like say you have a RC car and if it goes over a perimeter you setup in your yard, it automatically will kill power to the RC car.

Sure! Purchase one of those RF pet fence systems. Hack the dog collar to extract the receiver. Modify its output to drive a relay or mosfet to the kill the R/C's battery power. Mount it on your R/C car.

Ken

Sure! Purchase one of those RF pet fence systems. Hack the dog collar to extract the receiver. Modify its output to drive a relay or mosfet to the kill the R/C's battery power. Mount it on your R/C car.
I have one of those systems; and it has just one problem. You cant tell if the receiver is crossing the buried wire going out of the enclosed space, or inward. (The dog got shocked going both ways) The receiver output would be active only while the receiver is within ~1ft of the wire.

For this application, the relay/mosfet would have to latch...

I have one of those systems; and it has just one problem. You cant tell if the receiver is crossing the buried wire going out of the enclosed space, or inward. (The dog got shocked going both ways) The receiver output would be active only while the receiver is within ~1ft of the wire.

For this application, the relay/mosfet would have to latch...

Hmmm, I wonder if a GPS would be better...? I like the dog collar idea, but the reliability will probably be a main concern.

Mike,

How fast do those collar sensors respond? I doubt that the R/C cars coming from outside the fence would be an issue. But, how fast the car approaches and crosses the fence, with only a two foot range, might be.

Ken

Given a choice I would hack the dog electric fence. My sister has one and it allows you to increase the transmitter power. She can get several feet, the down side as mentioned is you would need to hack the receiver and include a latch so when it is triggered in this case OFF the circuit remains OFF.

Ron

I have the dog fence, and our dog is now trained to stay in the yard. Make me an offer via PM...

Yes, the transmitter power can be turned up to where the receiver is actuated about 5 ft from the wire...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back