Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Per unit calculations on transmissionlines

Status
Not open for further replies.

rune haferkamp

Hey! We are writing out electro engineer bachelor this semester, and my task is to "directstart a subsea motor". Usually you start the motor by a frequencyconverter, but we are trying to figure out if it is possible to start it without one. Therefore we are making a scaled down model in out labaratorium. The cirquit is basicly like this: **broken link removed**

Generator - Transformator - Transmissionline(Pi-elements) - Transformator - Motor

By scaling down the model we are going to need to use the Per Unit system, but we can't figure out what base to use. Do any of you have any experience with this system and understand what base to use?

Thank you so much for any help at all :)

Attachments

• krets.png
    krets.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 344
Hey! We are writing out electro engineer bachelor this semester, and my task is to "directstart a subsea motor". Usually you start the motor by a frequencyconverter, but we are trying to figure out if it is possible to start it without one. Therefore we are making a scaled down model in out labaratorium. The cirquit is basicly like this: **broken link removed**

Generator - Transformator - Transmissionline(Pi-elements) - Transformator - Motor

By scaling down the model we are going to need to use the Per Unit system, but we can't figure out what base to use. Do any of you have any experience with this system and understand what base to use?

Thank you so much for any help at all :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Per-unit_system

I would choose the subsea motor's power (kW) and voltage (kV) as the base units because the rest of the system is to designed around (designed to accommodate) those parameters.

Also, when using a generator (assuming a dedicated generator, not shipboard power), it is still possible to ramp up to full power, same as with a frequency drive. You do not need to throw a switch and apply full line voltage and frequency from topside and "hope" that the motor starts. You can start the motor with the generator at idle, and then increase engine RPM to full RPM gradually. Further (if starting at idle is still a problem), you can employ the use of a clutch between the engine and the generator head to soft-start all the way from 0Hz to idle speed.

Hey! Thank you so much for the reply! We will try to use your idea on base.

Yeh, i wassent really sure if i needed the switch, but i think your right. The main problem is the enormous ressistance when starting it (3-15 MVA motors).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back