Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

peltiers power generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water cool the cold side, with a jacket. Even 1 new drop of water a second will remove a huge amount of heat from the peltier and you could run that from rainwater tank (ie no energy cost for the cooling provided it rains sometimes).

hm so how do i get the water over the cool side ? I suppose a cpu water cooler block is best but that puts up price, so how do I control the furnace ? i'd need an appropriate thermometer to start with...

Last edited:
An article you may find useful. Note the date - efficiency has increased tremendously since then.

Mike.

Attachments

• teg.pdf
    28.1 KB · Views: 410
As I mentioned before if you can mount them so that the cool side is attached to something like a square or rectangular tube or pipe water could be circulated through that to pull the heat off.

You will probably have to invest in one of those cheap IR temperature meters. I bought a small cheapo unit a few years ago for $22. Its accurate to within +-1.5 C over a -40 to + 300 C range.
As long as you can read your hot side temperature so as to not get to hot the cool side wont really be all that important. Just cooler the better.

As far as the regulating a homemade furnace that could take a bit of creativity!
You maybe in for a bit of a scrounging and back yard engineering challenge to get this to work efficently! :D

Unless you have gravity feed water, the pump may require more power than your Seebeck generator can produce.

I worked in industry with a couple of types of home-made water jacket heatsinks.

Both require flat surfaces (ie machined flat) but you don't have to machine the surface yourself. One was just hardware store rectangular alloy tubing 2" by 4" with thick wall (1/8") and mounted vertically, the ends sealed with plugs and silicone and water hoses added. Because of the big internal diameter you can just attach it to a water tank and let thermal convection recirculate the water.

The other smaller type was just a block of alloy 5/8" thick and cut in a square about the size of your hand, then a couple of holes drilled through it the long way with little hose fittings screwed in. You can also buy PC watercooler blocks like this these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back