Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCI Extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikemikemike

Do anybody know that Can i exntend the PCI slot by using IDC flat cable?
Is there any Limitation of the PCI BUS? Length, Power, freq?

Thank for answering

The capacitance of the wire will be a problem. PCI is a 32-bit parallel bus at very high speed. Only a few centimeters of unshielded wire will generate a lot of errors. Isolated wire will work better (tough, probabely also for a couple centimeters) , but find a isolated wire with that many connections :?

Just think of it this way, your parallel port (for printer) is a 8-bit parallel bus and at fairly low speed. Extending this cable beyond a couple of meters tends to give problems... So imagine what a long cable would do to a 32-bit bus running at such high speed.

Can I ask why you would be doing this? Normally you would put the card into the computer, not use some sort of extension..

Would b interesting if it works tho.. could have an "external" internal modem or something :p

mikemikemike said:
Do anybody know that Can i exntend the PCI slot by using IDC flat cable?
Is there any Limitation of the PCI BUS? Length, Power, freq?

Thank for answering

You cannot extend PCI by IDC cable. Dont even bother trying. I guarantee that it wont work. (I've designed many PCI devices)

There are many limitations on PCI. Some for length, power and frequency.
Check https://www.pcisig.com/home
for the latest specs (which you have to pay for by the way)

Your best bet to to get an extender card. There are active and passive versions. Check a company called catalyst. Probably bout $200-$500 for one of those.

Thank for all

The reason why i do that is because of a special terminal case made to fit in industry environment. The client need another source of data collecting interface which specified a PCI card. But the case of the terminal is just like a 1U computer and we can not use riser because it cash with the power supply in the compacted case design. Actually i have discuss with my boss about the reliable of such design .but he still want to try this, so i do that! :?

I have make the PCB broad. So no way to stop now. I will post result after my test.
HAHAH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back