Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB TableSaw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hard to say without actually trying it. PCB's are usually cut with a shear. For the price it's worth a try. If I were you I would be careful not to breath the dust from the cutting.

Looks similar to the tile cutting table I use to rip PCBs (and occasionally tiles). They do make a lot of dust but with a diamond disc cut well.

I also use a mini bandsaw. I've got a micro bandsaw but the blades didn't last long and there was a lot of blade movement.

I've also got a scrollsaw which I bought a few years ago but that hasn't ever been out of its box.

I can't remember if carbide or diamond is recommended, but the saw will be fine.

It would be best to fit a dust collector. Fiberglass dust destroys bearings and it's not good for your lungs.

@Brevor
PCB's are either scored or cut with a router bit.

I would go for the diamond blade, milling fiberglas wears out carbide endmills (carbide does last much longer then the "steel" mills) besides the diamond as stated could also be used for tiles...

Don't use high-RPM high-energy devices to cut FR4 PCB! :eek:

You will get a superfine airborne glass dust that is extremely bad for you.

Use a low speed cutter like a guillotine shear, or a low speed scroll-saw or band saw, or something with water quenching etc.

Probably better then would be a ceramic tile cutter which uses a diamond blade, low speed and can use water if needed.

It will work for tiles and glass, but I bet it will not work at all for PCBs. These tile cutters work by making a stress line in the tile which then becomes the point where the tile breaks.
PCBs are made from fiberglass cloth impregnated with resin, so even though the top leayer might crack right, the rest will just tear and leave hanging threads of fiberglass.

I got one of these last year. It is a little more expensive, creates no dust, and works well.

**broken link removed**

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back