Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pcb router

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_froslie

Hello,

I'm curious about pcb routers and there seem to be many options. The intent is to get a machine running that will enable students to learn how to and create boards for their circuits.

Any suggestions and/or general information would be greatly appreciated.

I suggest you use Eagle for schematic creation and PCB layout.

Use PCB-GCode to generate gcode for the milling machine. Upper, lower, and drill files.

PCB-GCode is a ULP (User Language Program). A sort of script that can be run from inside eagle.

The light version of Eagle and PCB-GCode are both free.

Eagle like many/most CAD programs takes some effort to learn. I suggest you learn to use Eagle and take a few class periods to teach the basics of it to the students.

We have taken several polls on ETO and Eagle is by far the most popular layout program.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you 3v0, seems that trusting the polls will the best idea with the learning curve.

On another note: I wonder if anyone has experience operating a milling machine rather than sending files out to be printed? If so, are there any suggestions regarding good machines and/or companies to look into?

The shop teacher at our HS has a**broken link removed** that I use. I can not compare it to other desktop mills in that it is the only one I have used.

The MAX is constructed from aluminum and can not mill ferrous metals. Sherline and Tiag mills are steel.

Is it common for boards to be manufactured using routing vs a photochemical process? While it is something interesting that your students should certainly know about as an option, it might be a better lesson to impart to them how to photo-chemically (and safely) process and etch their own designs (laser printer, UV, photo-chemical etching, etc) - if you haven't already done so, of course...

Is it common for boards to be manufactured using routing vs a photochemical process?
No routing seems to be limited to prototyping.

You could argue that if you have the CNC to drill holes you may as well route the boards too. I was doing PulsarProFx toner transfer prior to getting access to the CNC and did not see a good reason to switch to routing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back