Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Mixed Signal Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dknguyen

Most Helpful Member
Hi. I can't remember whether the analog partition or the digital partition is supposed to be closest to the power supply on the PCB. Nor, can I find any of the old files that had the guidelines when my files got wiped. Does anyone remember? I think it's digital is closest, but am not sure.

I always use "star" wiring when a circuit has digital and analog. Both connect to the regulator's output or main filter capacitor at the same spots. Both for the positive supply and for ground.

In general, you should keep the digital portion closest to the supply. A signal needs a return path to ground. The analog portion of your circuit is more adversly affected by noise. If your analog portion was closer to the supply the digital return current flow accross your analog portion when it returns.

Star grounding is a good technique but should be used carefully. In reality your grounding will vary from circuit to circuit. The goal is to minimize return path impedance, isolate sections based on noise level and susceptibility, and avoid large area for return path loops.

You can place partitions carefully, to prevent ground return currents from digital sections from flowing under analog sections. The easiest way to ensure this is to make the analog sections at the edges of the board. Make sure that the digital traces do not cross over the partition, this generates a lot of EMI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back