Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB footprint for serial EEPROM

Status
Not open for further replies.

battpower

Hi there,

This seems so simple, but I cannot find a recommended footprint / land pattern for a standard surface mount I2C serial EEPROM.

The device I'm using is a Ramtron FM24C256. The datasheet states that it is an 8-pin EIAJ SOIC. Its wider than an SO8(Narrow), but narrower than an SO8(Wide). See page 12 of this pdf.
http://www.ramtron.com/lib/literature/FM24C256ds_r1.3.pdf

Atmel refer to the footprint as 8S2 0.209" wide. See page 15 of this pdf
http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1152.pdf

Most I2C serial EEPROMs seem to use the same footprint, I just need a recommended land pattern for it!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Surely, your layout program has provision for modifying/adding package layouts? Just move the pads for the regular (narrow) SOIC for the wider spacing. If you can't figure out how to do that, you can just extend the pads with PC run when you do the layout.

Yes I have no problem editing the library component, its just that I usually check my footprint against IPC-SM-782 and the manufacturers recommended footprint.

In this case, the device is not listed in the IPC spec, and until last night, I couldn't find a manufacturers recommended footprint.

Anyway, I did find it in the end, its referred to as 8-pin SOIC 208mil (which is width of plastic body of component). Its really SO8 medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back