PCB Fabrication - Endless Noob Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can upload your Gerbers to 4PCB.com, part of Advanced Circuits, for a sanity check. In a short time, you'll receive an email stating "No showstoppers found" or a description of the problem and some guesses at the cause. You'll also receive a quote for manufacturing the boards at Advanced Circuits in the US – you'll really appreciate the prices you get from China!

It doesn't look like 4PCB.com generates quotes without human intervention, and I'd hate to waste someone's time if I have no intention of placing an order with them. I think I'm confident enough with my design at this point to risk $5 plus shipping. I'll go with MaxHeadroom78's suggestion of PCBway, since they have a some cheaper shipping options, and I'm not in a super hurry.

Okay thanks. I went back to 4PCB.com to give it a try, but I had to register, which required giving them my phone number. So, that was the end of that.
I just went ahead and submitted my order to PCBway. Total including cheap shipping option is $11.00, which I think I can risk.
This is for 10 boards—actually 20 boards, because I can fit 2 into the max. 100x100mm size.
There was a bit of a hassle because they don't recognize gerber X2 format. So, I had to regenerate them in X1 format which takes a few more steps.

as a suggestion to verify your pattern layout, print you board at 100% and place components on print to double check your footprints.
What software are you using?

I ended up using Diptrace. I started with KiCad, and gave up in frustration. The learning curve with Diptrace was amazingly short.

I did print out the pattern and place the components on the print to check. That's always been part of my checking from when I was doing toner transfer PCBs.

Anyway, I've got the boards back from the fabricator and everything came out fine. There was one minor glitch where I used a footprint for a through-hole electrolytic where the lead spacing was closer than it should have been, but still useable. See attached pics.

Looks really nice - I know what you mean about the spacing been wrong, I've had a few of those myself.

What's the big glass thing in the middle?

A curious thing:

It looks like a small transmitter, to transmit audio to an AM radio.

JimB

Well an ECF82 was a fairly rare beast back in the day

Decades ago an old friend of mine used to occasionally run a pirate radio station, and he used cathode modulation of a single stage oscillator/output valve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…