Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Design software

Status
Not open for further replies.

javed

Any freeware recommendations?

The 555 cct I'm building in the other thread - I'm going to have a board etched up by a mate of mine.

I've tried a few freeware apps and can draw my cct schematic exactly. I then want it to suggest me the best track layout.

I've had no joy with these at all - every time I seem to get some unkown component - even though it's listed when I pick it!

Another suite I've tried simply says it doesn't understand the schematic I drew with it's own design software!

Such a simple cct I might just resort to drawing lines with the etch resist pen...

The DOS based Protel AutoTrax programme is free.

The Australian Silicon Chip magazine has been running a series of articles explaining how to use it. See the October 2002 issue for the first.

Len

I do well enough with CadSoftUSA's Eagle PCB editor. They've got a free "light" version, the functional restriction is the size of the board.

It's got annoying quirks, mostly having to do with copying & editing existing components. Sometimes a simple operation becomes very difficult there. Otherwise, it's quite stable and crash-free, the autorouter is quite effective, good setup of design rules, etc.

You might need a Gerber file viewer to print out artwork you could DIY etch with.

PCB DEsign

i have 2 favorites software.

1) Protel DXP - verry excelent, you can get 30-day trial version from www.protel.com

2) Track Maker - portion from circuit maker - low provile one. you can get 30-days trial version from www.microcode.com, and also student edition with unlimited time period, but with limited circuit capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back