Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PCB Copper Coating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody here knows a paint (transparent and spray) that can be used in coating the Copper Side of the PCBs? I just hate the tarnish and discoloration of the PCBs so I need such coatings.

Can please post here brands and name of such paints/coatings.

Thanks.

You can get this as an aerosol spray from places that sell servicing aids for electronics. If your equipment lives in a very humid environment get the tropicalised aerosol varnish spray.
Make sure you mask the edge connectors or any other contact area before spraying this stuff.
Brand names are a localised matter, this is a worldwide forum.

Sprays

My location is in the philippines, too bad can't get one really,.

Well, you can experiment using ordinary varnish - like the clear stuff used on woodwork.
or you can try the clear varnish spray used to protect polished brass plaques, trophies, etc. You'll have to ask around locally what's available and where to get it.

The name of this protected coating using in pcb is "solder Mask" in red blue green colors, search in internet browsers and type sorder mask

I am curious... I have searched google over and over useing differant variations of keywords but cant find anything about perminant solder masking for the home enthusiast / hoddiest... I am interested in finding an easy to use low cost solution for this.. Can anyone please list a website or two for this?

Use a piece of solder braid, soak it with solder and drag this braid over the PCB tracks with an iron. the solder melts and sticks to the tracks. the braid just simply evens out the layer of solder. I find this is a good use for used up solder braids.

Very good idea.. I had never thought of that.. but I would have to do it intentionally (soak braid with solder) as I hardly ever use it and when I do I tend to clip off what I use which is less the ½ inch usually....

I bought some stuff I have not used yet... Its called "Tinnit" and its made by Datak... looks promissing... I intend to use it soon... as I am working on a large number of custom boards.. I want them to look there best..

That "tinnit" stuff from Datak is VERY expensive for what you get. The solder braid option is much cheaper option.

well, whatever floats your boat...

I dont think its to bad....
I only paid $5 US to enough to do 600 square inches.... Approx 4 feet squared.... thats a good area of coverage

pike said:
Use a piece of solder braid, soak it with solder and drag this braid over the PCB tracks with an iron. the solder melts and sticks to the tracks. the braid just simply evens out the layer of solder. I find this is a good use for used up solder braids.

a slight modification of this concept is applying flux over the traces and directly melting lead over the traces. a flat tip is highly recommended although pointed tips can do it...

Cold tinning or as above solder braid method both work. I tend to spray my pcbs with Laquer Flux. Not only does it improve solderability, but protects the copper too ;) Its made by Kontakt Chemie, called SK10, a much easier way.

Steve

Dont happen to have a link to a place to purchace this product handy? I am interested to give it a try but I cant seem to find it with google

twizted said:
Dont happen to have a link to a place to purchace this product handy? I am interested to give it a try but I cant seem to find it with google
I get mine from here>> **broken link removed** there will be others around though.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back