Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

pc via dsl pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

james

i'm here again, Thec. it is possible for any remote pc to access the web by connecting it to a DSL subscriber pc via dial-up? thanks.

Hey (again)

I'm not really sure I understand your question, could you explain more detailed or just rephrase your question?

Albert

Yes and then again No.

Yes, if you can setup a RAS Server (Remote Access Service) on the DSL subscription server. Then you would be able to dial into the server and then go out to the internet. Does this give you 'the computer with the modem' the speed at which the DSL computer is running? Not at all, you are still limited to the phone lines and the modem and adding the 'limitations' of the computer you are connecting to.

No, some will argue that if you have Windows XP and setup ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on one computer and network it with another computer that is running a Dial Up Server then it should work. The operative word is 'should'. In theory it could, in reality you are looking at a huge headache.

Question: Why are you considering this type of hook up?

I knew a person who rented a small business office, ordered a business DSL line (when they were too expensive for guys like me with kids) and then tried setting up his own ISP, work for a little while until he got several customers, speeds dropped and he is still paying for the legal fees he incurred.

Note: I am no way associated with the phone companies and detest the charges they want. Wireless is the only way to go! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back