Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Rider

Hi to all !!!
I have upgrade my old pc with a new motherboard and i have a problem. when i'm powering the pc it starts itself but nothing happens on the screen. also sometimes the leds are on and sometimes are off. i checked with a higher power supply and the results was the same. i made only one modification. because the cables of the start, power led and disc led was short i put some more cable to catch the mobo. there was not a reset button and i add one, but the buttons don't work. the connections is ok as the mobo considerations. any idea?
thanks in advaced!
Jimi.

We have no idea as to your skill level. Without a lot more information as to what you did it would be a game of 100 questions.

What parts are new or not. Did you bend a pin when you inserted the processor. Which leds come on now and then ? What do you mean by it starts ?
Does it access the disk drives ? etc etc etc

3v0

well 3v0 you have some right. i'm electronic engineer, so i know what i'm doing with this stuff. it is not my first pc upgrade. i have upgrade my old pc with the 4CoreDual-SATA2 R2.0 mobo because i didnt want to upgrade all the parts of the pc. so i keep my wd400 hard disk(40GB), dvdrom toshiba and the MSI fx5900zt-vtd128 graphic card. i also put a cpu from a friend. a pentium D/3ghz/830/800fsb/2chache. i put all cables and this is the point that i meet for the first time of my carrier. when i turned on the switch of the PSU the pc starts immediately without wait me to push the start button of the pc. strange for me. the screen shows nothing. i think it is a fault processor but i don't have another to test. also i measure the volt at the pins of the start, reset buttons and the pins of the disk and power leds on the motherboard.
all is OK, but i'm measuring 5V at the -powerled pin and 2.5V at the +powerled pin.
when i triggered the power or the reset pins while the pc running nothing happens, no restart no shut down.
is this a faulty motherboard? please give me your lights.
regards,
Jimi.

Last edited:
Unplug everything from the motherboard except the processor and power, including RAM and all cards. When you apply power, does it still turn on automatically? If it does, then it's either a bad power button, something other than the power button is plugged into the power button header, or it's a bad motherboard.

If it does not turn on, then push the power button and see if it's beeps. It should beep since the memory and video are gone. If you get to this point, start putting things back in one by one until it starts failing.

Did you wear a grounding strap when you did the upgrade? :)

yes i'm wearing gnd strap. as it seems it's the motherboard. it always starts automatically. how can i see if it is the processor without changing him? (because i haven't anyone else to put and test) i'm suspicius for him because i took him from a guy how didn't need it anymore and i'm thinking if this is the fault part. can a faulty processor make damage to the mobo?

Last edited:
Take the processor out and see if it does the same thing.

Last edited:
yes, the same. it starts automatically again.
i'll go back the mobo. it has 2 years guarantee.
thanks smanches

the thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back