Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Pc Serial Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

krismoly

Hi Folks,

Can anyone recommend an easy way to program a pc serial port? (which is available as freeware if possible!)

I require to time stamp the incoming data e.g.

TIME DATA
1508 1
1509 1
1511 3
1539 9
etc

this data should then be stored in a file (on pc, for later viewing.).

Have very limited programming experience in c, but not sufficient for this project.
I am currently running windows 2000, which I understand can be a bit of a pain to access serial ports etc.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions

regards
Kris

the .NET 2.0 framework has a SerialPort object in it that's really easy to use, and thus you should be able to use it in any of the .NET languages, namely C# and Visual Basic, both of which are pretty easy to learn and use. Since you already know some C, but BASIC is really easy to begin with, you could probably be alright going either way.

you could even use excel in VB mode...

search for some examples on words like excel and comm object.

Tks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back