Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PC less PIC programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
You pretty much need a PC with Windows. You can buy a standalone programmer but they often cost more than a netbook and programmer.

How do you expect to program it without a PC?

I've got a PIC "Pocket" programmer. It was a kit made many years back by one of the PIClist gurus Tony Nixon. It has a ZIF socket, a 16F876, a 16x2 LCD display, and some eeprom memory chips. All on a small PCB about pocket sized.

It can read a PIC, store the hex file in it's eeproms and be used to make copies so I got it as a production programmer that grunts could use in the workshop to program PICs without needing a PC and without any chance of wrecking the source code haha.

**broken link removed**

It's a very nice little unit, I don't know if you can still get them... You can see more pictures and specs etc here;

Oh yeah it can receive a HEX file on it's RS232 port as well.

There have been various such programmers over the years, I've got a similar one (but with simple LED's rather than an LCD display), as far as I know mine only copies 16C84's, it came from a closed company that produced cloned smart cards for satellite.

For that matter, the PICKit2 will program PIC's with out a PC as well, storing the program internally.

How do you expect to program it without a PC?

what u say mr. Sceadwian? about MR. RB....only u not brileantman.......!@#$%^&*()_+

"Because I be what I be. I would tell you what you want to know if I
could, mum, but I be a cat, and no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a
straight answer, har har."

I've got a PIC "Pocket" programmer. It was a kit made many years back by one of the PIClist gurus Tony Nixon. It has a ZIF socket, a 16F876, a 16x2 LCD display, and some eeprom memory chips. All on a small PCB about pocket sized.

It can read a PIC, store the hex file in it's eeproms and be used to make copies so I got it as a production programmer that grunts could use in the workshop to program PICs without needing a PC and without any chance of wrecking the source code haha.

**broken link removed**

It's a very nice little unit, I don't know if you can still get them... You can see more pictures and specs etc here;

Oh yeah it can receive a HEX file on it's RS232 port as well.

thank you sir

There have been various such programmers over the years, I've got a similar one (but with simple LED's rather than an LCD display), as far as I know mine only copies 16C84's, it came from a closed company that produced cloned smart cards for satellite.

For that matter, the PICKit2 will program PIC's with out a PC as well, storing the program internally.

Shame it doesn't have the LCD and ZIF socket though... They make all the difference. Tony's design was well ahaead of its time. From what I remember "everybody" wanted one and kept requesting features, and he worked really hard on this great portable pocket programmer that does everything, and made it completely open source to benefit everyone... And then when kits were released it was like nobody gave a damn. Then Tony disappeared from the PIC scene shortly after that.

That link I posted above still has all his source code and schematics.

Pickit2 can download a hex file into a pic without a PC, although it is limited to just one hex file.

I was thinking of making a 'product' out of a portable PIC/AVR programmer I designed for a customer. USB configurable, flash memory(4-16mbit), LCD with a very basic user interface. Of course it can't compile source code, but can happily store quite a few hex files, along with the device(s) they are targetted for. Runs off two AA's or lithium ion.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm just curious if anyone would be interested. If you wish to design your own I can give you some advice about VPP voltages, and the PIC programming protocol.

Blueteeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back