Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PayPal

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I got this Email today, and remember seeing it in the past, and have just deleted it. Just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience, or click on the link.

First, I've never had a PayPal account, or used them in anyway, nor intend to do so. I've shopped online, gotten all the way to the checkout, before finding out the only payment option, was PayPal, and quickly exited the site, little bummed out for missing a good deal. So, obviously, any Email about PayPal, is some sort of scam.

Attachments

• Paypal.jpg
    Paypal.jpg
    488.3 KB · Views: 214
Forward it to spoof at paypal.com. If it doesn't refer to you by name, then it's definately not PayPal. And obviously, never access PayPal via any links in any e-mails.

Last edited:
Forward it to spoof at paypal.com. If it doesn't refer to you by name, then it's definately not PayPal. And obviously, never access PayPal via any links in any e-mails.

I never access PayPal, period. Like, said, no way this could be real, as I have never done business with, or through PayPal. There has never been an account in my name, to be restricted.

When a sucker who has a Pay-Pal account logs into their website and enters his password then they got his password.

Last year every bank in the world (the scammers) sent me the same e-mail wanting me to log-in and enter my password. They looked genuine but were crooks.

In recent weeks I have been receiving multiple e-mails exorting me to confirm various security details regarding on-line banking.
Just one problem, most of them purport to be from banks with which I do not have an account!
Instant delete!

My e-mail address has obviously ended up in the lap of some scammers, probably from a business card handed out somewhere or another.

JimB

I have received several of those messages,recently, supposedly from paypal.
After forwarding them to spoof at paypal, they were confirmed as spoofs.
If you ever receive one of these, never click on any link in the message.
Just log in to paypal as you normally would.

PatM

Last edited:
I get those too. I also get some saying that my car payment is overdue and I need to make an immediate payment to some collection agency or my car will be repossessed and my credit ruined.

I dont have a working registered car or a car loan and my pickup loan is with my locally owned bank and I know my loan people personally. I am over 1 year over paid on a 4 year loan! So I am pretty sure it not behind!;)

I also get them for my college loans that are over paid and fake collection agency calls relating to the car loan and student loans as well.
I know my email address got out during college several years ago during one of those "accidental" records leaks every single college has every year.:mad:

It was the only time I ever used my full spelling of my middle name on anything. Every scam email and phone call uses my middle name.
My college loans did not actually have my full spelled middle name on them so that how I determined where it got out and likely which scammers have gotten it.

After a while I really dont care any more.

It's just about the oldest trick in the book. Google 'phishing'. It's evil but with the volume of spam these asshats send out, even a 0.001% return rate is worth it.

Torben

It's just about the oldest trick in the book. Google 'phishing'. It's evil but with the volume of spam these asshats send out, even a 0.001% return rate is worth it.

Torben

True, and it is usually the elderly and less computer literate that fall prey. My father has dementia and my sister has to constantly monitor his email. Sounds wrong, but my dad needs watching over these days...:(

True, and it is usually the elderly and less computer literate that fall prey. My father has dementia and my sister has to constantly monitor his email. Sounds wrong, but my dad needs watching over these days...:(

It's not wrong, it's sad. I don't mean in a pathetic, pitying way--more that it's sad that there are actually people who will actively prey on people in your dad's state, or even just on those who aren't facing problems like dementia, but are simply naive.

It used to make me angry. Now I think I'm mostly just numb. That's sad too.

Torben

It's not wrong, it's sad. I don't mean in a pathetic, pitying way--more that it's sad that there are actually people who will actively prey on people in your dad's state, or even just on those who aren't facing problems like dementia, but are simply naive.

It used to make me angry. Now I think I'm mostly just numb. That's sad too.

Torben

I get your meaning, and I think all the countries on this planet should come to an agreement and create a world internet police force to bust these creeps. Something like interpol. I dunno, but these parasites need a good dose of some sort of anti-parasitic pesticide. Harsh maybe, but just look at the victims of these locus predators.

It's phishing and is pretty common.

Notice how it's from paypal@ntl.service.com, not from the real PayPal email address?

If you click on the link nothing bad will happen, you'll just be directed to a fake PayPal page where you're expected to enter your bank account details so they can steal money from you. I normally just submit a load of false information just to annoy them.:D.

SO how can we all be aware of it but the powers the be and claim to have control over these type of situations just be sitting there and apparently not doing much about it?
If this is that obvious and its still going on what are they spending their policing efforts and time on then?

SO how can we all be aware of it but the powers the be and claim to have control over these type of situations just be sitting there and apparently not doing much about it?
If this is that obvious and its still going on what are they spending their policing efforts and time on then?

You make it sound like it would be easy to stop spam mailers.

Phishers are only a problem for people who don't know much about computers who just give away their bank account details.

Phishers are only a problem for people who don't know much about computers who just give away their bank account details.

I'd imagine the time and cost to set up an automatic mailer is very small, so if they catch just one in a million, they hit the jackpot. It's tough to be on guard all the time. Suppose the person was having trouble getting a purchase to go through, and was expecting an Email from PayPal? I've never used it, or was even tempted, so not sure what is normal. Maybe early morning, late at night, few beers (with Obama :) ). Pretty sure it's all automatic, the spammer just waits until someone gets careless.

You make it sound like it would be easy to stop spam mailers.

It's simple - the UK government simply made it a criminal offence, stopped it completely overnight ........................ NOT!

Spam never originated inside the UK anyway, the vast majority always came from the USA where it first started. Now Turkey, Africa and China are popular.

It's usually pretty obvious what is and isn't spam, just don't open it - I delete 99+% of my emails unopened.

I very rarely get spam to begin with, kind of why this one was so unusual. Too bad there isn't a quick and simple means to trace the origin of the Email. Maybe a future upgrade to the internet. Email is a private thing, shouldn't be a problem for the sender to be clearly identified, since you would normally know this anyway. Those who don't want to be identified as the sender, couldn't have any good intentions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back