Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Parts for making coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkedallusion

Can anyone tell me where I can find plstic bobbins for winding coils? I want to build coils with 24 AWG magnet wire, with a low carbon steel cores. I need to find the cores and the bobbins- if anyone can help me I will be eternally grateful!!

Ocean State, RFparts or Dan's Parts might
[don't have the URL, google will]
I used to buy Radio Shack coil assortment bags.
I would use the plastic coil form with the tuning slug and wrap my own wire.
Any junk television should have several of these coil forms.
If you need new stuff contact Murata, Toko or SwitchCraft and ask for samples.

Hi Folks - I also have a question regarding coils and would appreciate any advice. I am building a project on a solderless breadboard and need to use a Toko variable coil (www.toko.co.jp/products/en/coils/img/7p_ph.gif ) - the legs are clearly not going to fit into the board and I am also worried about breaking them because of how fragile they are. Is there any kind of socket mount or adapter plug that are available for these kind of coils so that I could somehow fit them into a solderless breadboard and/or at least have something to connect my wires to first and then to the coil itself so as not to put stress on the legs?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that many, if not all breadboards are not suitable for RF work. You didn't say you were working with RF but the coil suggests that.

No breadboards are suitable for RF applications but it depends on the frequency. You probably won't have much trouble with frequencies below about 10MHz but I normally wouldn't push it any higher than 2MHz so if you're planning to build an AM radio then go ahead but I wouldn't even think about FM.

Hmm..

Fellas - thanks for the heads up in regards to the frequency limits on solderless breadboards. I am actually using the solderless breadboard for a theremin (**broken link removed** ) which I suspect should be at or below a.m. in terms of frequency, so I think (hope) that it will be fine in that regard. Still, I am concerned about how to work with these toko coils without damaging their delicate leads. Have any of you guys heard of some kind of socket or adapter for these things?

Thanks!

LeeMorgan said:
....... I am building a project on a solderless breadboard and need to use a Toko variable coil (www.toko.co.jp/products/en/coils/img/7p_ph.gif ) - the legs are clearly not going to fit into the board and I am also worried about breaking them because of how fragile they are. ............Thanks!

Hi LeeMorgan
Try mouting them at 45 degrees and the pin spacing may then be suitable and the pins will likely sit in adjecent commons not in the same common. the componenet's pins are spaced at .15in not .1 in
it should be possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back