Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Panel Meter clock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llamarama

Hello all, I've had an idea for a panel meter clock. It uses a series of binary (not BCD, pure binary) counters to tell the time in binary. The output from this is then sent to 3 DACs. This is then sent to some panel meters with a calibrated scale.

The DACs I'm going to use are the standard 4016 analogue switches with resistors style design from here **broken link removed**.

Which type of panel meters should I use? Voltmeters or Ammeters?

Also, does anyone know where I can get some cheap side reading meters of the right type in the UK? A shop close to Newcastle Upon Tyne would be nice, as i have an idea to put them in an oak case with brass frames etc...

Any imput is greatly appreciated! Thank you! :)

I will upload a schematic so far over the next few days when I have access to a scanner.

Last edited:
(Analog) panel meters are only Voltmeters and Ammeters on the outside. Inside, they are microammeters. You make voltmeters by putting resistance in series with them. You make ammeters by putting a shunt in parallel with them.

I've saw a similar device a couple years ago, it was kinda cool. That one used a micro, not binary counters, a pair of DACs and two meters.

So assuming I have the outputs connected to 4016 analoglue switches with increating powers of 2 resistor values (R, 2R, 4R, 8R, etc...) then I could connect it to a generic microammeter and adjust via trimmer pots till the output is correctly scaled?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back