PAL to JPEG???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris P

Hello again....

I need to take a PAL signal, sample it at regular intervals (about every 2 seconds) and compress it to a JPEG image ready to be stored on a compact flash card.

I have found lots of info on the compact flash interface and this shouldnt be a prob. Also found lots on the FAT16 file structure. However, how do i compress the PAL signal. This is only a small part of my project so I'd like the easiest route please.

Im using a PIC 16F777 for the compact flash interface. It has a 10-Bit A/D and clocks at 20MHz. Would this be fast enough to do it in software (Its a black and white sensor) does anyone know where I could find a code for this as I have a pressing time deadline...

Or is there a chip so I can do this in hardware? If so how would I get hold of one?

Any help at all would be more than welcome...

Cheers Chris

JPEG

It's been years since I used Zoran codecs, but their technical support was pretty good. You might have a look at this:

**broken link removed**

Although I'm a great PIC lover, this isn't a job for one :cry:

You need to sample the signal very fast (far, far greater than a PIC can do), and need a fair amount of memory to do it in (which a 14 bit PIC hasn't got). Mpeg compression routines are also large and slow, I don't thing a PIC could do it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…