Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P16PRO40 - Software & Device Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemE

It seems like there is quite a few people out there that still use a P16PRO40 (Like me) and I am guessing other people are probably running into similar issues as I am. So I hope this thread benefits lots people.

Right now I am having trouble finding software (winpicpro, ICprog, winpic800, etc) that will support the P16PRO40 for newer micochip PICs like F88X series.

I noticed that winpic800 does support F88X PICs so I was really excited and installed it. After a bit of looking at the hardware list (and looking at the settings I have for my P16PRO40 in winpicprog) I was able to modify a hardware configuration to make winpic800 work with my P16PRO40.

So I was all excited that I have the winpic800 working with my programmer and I even tested it with programming an F877A (and it worked!)... but then to my dismay I find that winpic800 has all of the F88X series PICs grayed out which I believe indicates they are nonprogrammable with what I have.

Still I wonder if there is a way to add your own support for the newer PICs in winpic800 by maybe editing a text file (similar to how you can configure your own hardware but for new PICs).

Anyway does anyone run into this issue as well and how do you get around it?

(I just realized that the F7X7 is not grayed out in the device list so I assume will be programmable with what I have... score! :) )

Oh yeah I want to thank Nigel for already giving me some help on this topic, but I figured it would be best to post about it incase it could help others with a P16PRO40.

ChemE said:
So I was all excited that I have the winpic800 working with my programmer and I even tested it with programming an F877A (and it worked!)... but then to my dismay I find that winpic800 has all of the F88X series PICs grayed out which I believe indicates they are nonprogrammable with what I have.
I used WINPIC800 with the PIC16F887 and a Tait style programmer a few months ago. It worked fine for me. In fact the 887 is listed amongst the supported devices; I don't remember why some PICs are greyed out though.

EDIT: I've just download WINPIC800 and the PIC16F887 lights up fine now. Have you installed the latest version (3.62)?

Last edited:
EDIT: I've just download WINPIC800 and the PIC16F887 lights up fine now. Have you installed the latest version (3.62)?

Eng1,

I just checked and I do have winpic800 version 3.62. It is fantastic that you were able to program the F887, I have been wanting to start using them but I didn't want to purchase them unless I knew they worked.

So was the F887 grayed out for you as well? Would you mind sharing your *.hwp file, I want to see if there are any differences with what I have.

Thank you for reply and even trying out your the program to see if it would work, I really appreciate it.

mvs sarma,

I'll have to check out that webpage as well and see what it says when I have time later. Thanks!

EDIT: I attached my P16PRO40.hwp profile for anyone to use.

Attachments

• P16PRO40.ZIP
    921 bytes · Views: 337
ChemE said:
So was the F887 grayed out for you as well?
Yes, it is still greyed out :( I've just realized that after selecting a parallel programmer the 887 is greyed out, but it is selectable anyways, isn't it? I don't remember if that prevents you from programming the chip... I'd like to try the software again, but I don't have the programmer on hand, and I would share the file you asked but it's on another machine (I'm using a pickit2 on this one).

Take a look at the **broken link removed**! I'm pretty sure that it'll allow you to burn the 887! I've used it a few times (perhaps in place of winpic800?). A nice feature is that it can autodetect your programmer.

On next week I'll be able to do some testing and give you more details.

Last edited:
ChemE said:
It seems like there is quite a few people out there that still use a P16PRO40 (Like me) and I am guessing other people are probably running into similar issues as I am. So I hope this thread benefits lots people.

Right now I am having trouble finding software (winpicpro, ICprog, winpic800, etc) that will support the P16PRO40 for newer micochip PICs like F88X series.

I noticed that winpic800 does support F88X PICs so I was really excited and installed it. After a bit of looking at the hardware list (and looking at the settings I have for my P16PRO40 in winpicprog) I was able to modify a hardware configuration to make winpic800 work with my P16PRO40.

Still I wonder if there is a way to add your own support for the newer PICs in winpic800 by maybe editing a text file (similar to how you can configure your own hardware but for new PICs).

Anyway does anyone run into this issue as well and how do you get around it?

(I just realized that the F7X7 is not grayed out in the device list so I assume will be programmable with what I have... score! :) )

Oh yeah I want to thank Nigel for already giving me some help on this topic, but I figured it would be best to post about it incase it could help others with a P16PRO40.

I got this little info for winpicpro software in Bojan_Dobaj_Intf_P16PRO40.ini file:

"[Info]
Purpose=PIC programmer interface for the Bojan Dobaj Hardware
Remarks=Prepared for WinPic by Ricardo Teves, Argentinia

[ProgrammerControlLines]
DataIn=!ack
OkButton=nc
VppOnOff=D4
VddOnOff=D2
Connect=nc
ClockOut=!D1
DataOut=!D0
DataOutWhileReading=1
PullMclrDown=nc
ClkEnable=nc
OutEnable=nc
RedLed=D3
GreenLed=nc "

ChemE, as promised I've done some testing with my parallel programmer and WinPIC800. The PIC16F887 is not supported with that hardware.

I've succesfully programmed the 887 with the PICPGM programmer - I was right on this ;) Take a look at the attached image, the PIC has been autodected*. You might have to re-configure the software for your hardware even if it says that the programmer has been autodected (because there are a few different variants of the Tait programmer, mine has a 7406 + pnp transistors).

* the program memory should be 8k.

Attachments

• 887.png
    887.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help eng1! It is great to see that the p16pro40 is still alive and kicking. AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back