Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronman

Hi,

I have heard that the formula which states the reason of using high voltage in mains instead of using high current is P = I^2 x R.
Can you tell me why and how that formula states so?
Is this formula states that too: P = V^2/R?

Power transfered through a wire is P= I x V, thus the higher the line voltage the lower the line current for a given power transfer. Since the I²R loss in the line resistance is proportional to line current, then the line loss decreases with increasing voltage for a given power through the line.

In North America, we have to use wire that has twice the amount of copper for the same length of circuit for our 120V house wiring as 240V European receptacles using the same amount of power.

But our incandescent light bulbs last longer. They have thicker filaments of tungsten.:D

Bob

Last edited:
True. I second that Nigel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back