Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Overload protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinesh2491

I am running a hostel and I installed 5kw solar power and 200ah batteries ×12nos system as I require more power at night than day as day usage is less and the power stored in these batteries itself is sufficient if person uses only for light,fan,TV. And we have put the rule as not use other electrical appliances like induction stove,iron box etc..but as there are many rooms it is not possible to control or find which room person is using,as one or two room usage the battery gets drained quick and the system gets useless,so is there any possibility to find the high watts appliances using rooms or any device to shutdown the supply only that particular room???

The easiest way is to have the high power circuits on separate feeds (which is often the case anyway), and simply turn those feeds off when they aren't permitted.

You simply wind 10 turns of the positive lead around a reed switch.
Connect the reed sw to a 5v buzzer with a battery. When the current increases over 10 amps the buzzer gives a warning.

You simply wind 10 turns of the positive lead around a reed switch.
Connect the reed sw to a 5v buzzer with a battery. When the current increases over 10 amps the buzzer gives a warning.
How do you know that 10 turns gives a sensitivity of 10A for the reed switch?

Try 11 turns. I use these in buses to detect when a tail light is burnt out. It is 2 amp and 10 turns

We are talking about 100 amp turns.

Volvo in the 90's used a similar system, 10 turns or so around a reed switch to one headlight, and then another 10 turns in the opposite direction to cancel out the magnetic field to the other headlight, if one of the bulbs went the fields no longer cancelled, the reed switch was activated and on came a warning light on the dash, simple and reliable.
Make something up and try different numbers of turns untill the right sort of current level is reached before the switch pulls in.
You could use 2 such devices, one for early warning and another to disconnect the power for a period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back