Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Our Friends In The Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
We have some long time members and friends on here, who live in the path of this big Hurricane going on. One is particular is also in the way of the real big one thats hit the Caribbean. Latest prediction is it will still be at least a CAT 4 when it hits land.

I dont like naming people (just one my funnies), I am aware they plan to get out of its way, however I wanted to wish them well and hope they stay safe. That goes for anyone else on here who is being/going to be affected by this storm.

Stuff is just Stuff, look after yourselves and those who happen to live on the coast......... Please dont leave it to the last minuet to get out the way.

My thoughts are with you all

Thanks for your message Little Ghostman. Here in Puerto Rico we were lucky we did not got hit by the Hurricane...but Barbuda , St Maarten and others were hit directly. Actually it is a category 5 hurricane. The projection is that it might hit US (Florida) as a category 4 on the weekend.

Thanks,
PRPROG
Puerto Rico

Ditto, prprog :arghh:...

Although not looking as bad (for us, anyway) today as yesterday. But still a ways off.

Thanks, LG, for noticing.

Those are just the Trade Winds (from the West) pushing everything along. It's what is saving our butts (in SC) from a hit.

Looks like we'll have TS conditions, but those are doable...

<LATE Edit> OOPS!! The Trades are from the EAST, of course. Sometimes my brain utterly fails me...:arghh:.

Last edited:
Sorry The Cat 4 comment was aimed at the prediction it will be when it hits the states. I was aware it was a CAT 5. if it was just a storm doing no one any harm, then the shear scale and power would be totally awe inspiring. But the truth is its killing people, its still mind blowing to see from the space station pics, but really heart breaking to think of those caught up in it.

Cowboy, i hope your not sitting there relying on the other winds to move it out your way!! Considering where you live, it would hit like bulldozer on a straw house!! PRPROG i am glad it didnt get too close to you.
Anyone know where in the Caribbean Mosaic is? Its not just the size this time, but normally the Islands support each other, this time its so big its hitting them all.

Glad to see the UK has sprang into action to help our outposts, obviously we are going to get there two weeks after they actually the help.

[Insert all the political grumblings i would have put under the old rules]

I did have the space station picture of it as a screen saver for a couple of hours, funny thing is i took it off after a couple of hours. Biggest storm I have personally seen was only 90mph gusts and 75mph winds. that was hairy enough, 185 mph winds is totally beyond anything I can get my head around. I been in a car at 120mph for 2 miles when mum left my little sister in a shop by mistake! So even that is 65mph short of this thing.

Anyway, i am keeping fingers crossed and putting you in my prayers. Gut feeling feeling is this storm isnt one to be messing with.

Glad to see the UK has sprang into action to help our outposts, obviously we are going to get there two weeks after they actually the help.

At the risk of appearing contentious, what have our "outposts" done to help themselves?
How often does the UK get hurricanes? Rarely.
How often does the Caribbean get hurricanes? Every year or so.
So why don't our "outposts" in the Caribbean have some contingency plan in place for when the inevitable happens?

JimB

Cowboy, i hope your not sitting there relying on the other winds to move it out your way!! Considering where you live, it would hit like bulldozer on a straw house!! PRPROG i am glad it didnt get too close to you.
The eye of Hugo (Cat 4, 29 September, 1989) smacked us head on with sustained 140MPH winds. Charleston Harbor was about 100' from the house we were in that night. It got ugly.

Obviously, we survived, but we sustained some serious psychic damage that made us very, very gun shy about hurricanes.

But since that time, NOAA has gotten very good at predicting storm tracking.

Fortunately, Irma's predicted path has moved far enough West (well into Georgia) that, at most, we'll see TS wind/rain levels which, while annoying, don't really pose life threatening conditions. Biggest deal is a possible lose of juice. But we've had a generator backup system (5KW) since Hugo, which keeps us online for most needs (can't use the A/C...:() so long as we closely rotate loads.

What's really pathetic though, as you'd sort of expect, are the SC State emergency response edicts. Our Governor has called for a mandatory evacuation of the 3 most southern counties, notably where numerous offshore islands sit. Good pre-emptive action, Gov, except the evacuation route is West, into Georgia, closer to Irma"s track :woot:.

Go figure...

Nice. Following the advice of the experts the Governor makes the best decision at that time. Irma to head right up the spine of Florida and will be there Saturday. Now it's changed.

Last I looked, Irma is still hanging around Cuba. Maybe pickup up a few things for her trip to Florida.

Florida evacuation checklist:
two day supply of water
two day supply of food
gas up car
Drive to colorado for a vacation.

The Westward evacuation route can be favored on initial assumption of the storms early depicted track flanking right from storm tracking services automated prediction systems (good at Chess tho), tho here already assumed to flank left by rotation and the island of Cuba producing a hard pull inland to aim at Tallahassee or even further West. Guesswork is never easy. Saying anything after the facts are also not morally correct for the what if wrongs. These eclipse storms are impressive as they are destructive.

Family and I are doing fine. We are going on 41 hours and counting with no power.

Cold showers suck!!!!

Throwing food out of refrigerators and freezers.

Glad it was not worse.

Got power finally! 69 hours without. Looking forward to a hot shower. ;)

To JoeJester, you may not be safer in Colorado with a large fire burning in California. Their wine crop may suffer greatly this fall; grapes become raisins in the extreme heat.
In my locale ( Calgary, Alberta), we've had smoky summer days from forest fires in neighboring province of British Columbia ( B.C.). Now one of those fires has reached Waterton National Park, closing the lake and border crossing into Glacier National Park and suspending ferry service between the shores so water bombers can refill. A partial fire ban has been in effect for a month now ( no open fires), and one motorist learned that in B.C. it's a $575 fine for tossing lit smoking materials from a car.

My reference to Colorado involves Hurricane Irma. It would be one bad ass hurricane to last from the east coast to Colorado.

Going to rebuild? That would be a lengthy project. Too much for just yourself.
Lengthy covers it.

Only just got it fully repaired/replaced in July from H. Matthew last year.

But at least some walkway and most of the dock ended up in a neighbor's yard a ways up the sound :D.

At the risk of appearing contentious, what have our "outposts" done to help themselves?
How often does the UK get hurricanes? Rarely.
How often does the Caribbean get hurricanes? Every year or so.
So why don't our "outposts" in the Caribbean have some contingency plan in place for when the inevitable happens?

JimB
Jim this is the BVI!!! Second only to panama for stashing cash!! I would have thought the Gov would have sent the troops in to stop the storm ;). The softy in me just sees people needing help, i dont think about what they done to deserve it or not. Could argue we been digging wells in Africa since spades were invented, but still they lack drinking water. I still send money to buy water..........But thats just me. Dont get me wrong, what you say is correct, its a valid opinion and one i understand. I just dont share it

(I am getting better at telling people where to go :D )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back