Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscilloscopes tektronix 2205 20mhz info please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I would read that as

1.1kh?

EDIT

ok new settings with .5 this time and then me results

settings

**broken link removed**

results

**broken link removed**

So yes the Volts make sense to me but still the time I cant grasp?.

Thanks for your time all.

Last edited:
Go here:

**broken link removed**

At that link from Tektronix you will see a series of documents - the top one, the "XYZs of Oscilloscopes Primer" - read that; it will answer all your questions and more.

Here's a link for the 2205 Operator's Manual:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/05/TEK20220520Operator.pdf

...and here's a link for the 2205 Service Manual:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/05/2205_SM.pdf

Download all of these, and read them all - its well worth it. Also - while the service manual is useful, some of the things in it you can't "do yourself" (like calibration) without special equipment (there's a special calibration signal generator device - which I assume has to be calibrated as well - that I once tried to find for my 2213 - let's just say it'd be cheaper to buy a brand-new scope).

:)

oh - and here's a few links on that "octopus" thingie I was talking about:

**broken link removed**
kd7rem's Octopus
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2011/05/OCTOPUSPDF.pdf
Octopus Ocilloscope Adapter

:) I see a little over 1.1 mS and as I recall F = 1 / T and T = 1 / F so maybe try again?

Use those links cr0sh was kind enough to provide and save that data. Read the user manual and get a feel for things.

@ cr0sh, wasn't an octopus an early Linux Distro? Thanks for the memories of building those things. I believe that eventually Huntron marketed the Huntron Tracker.

Ron

Ohhh so I was close :).

So is the time scale on my scope out of calibration.

Or should I test it with say a function generator set to an exact freq then see what it reads.

Of course I dont have one of these but I am sure there could be some thing on the net that I can whip up that puts out an exact freq.

Thansk

Last edited:
Ohhh so I was close :).

So is the time scale on my scope out of calibration.

Or should I test it with say a function generator set to an exact freq then see what it reads.

Of course I dont have one of these but I am sure there could be some thing on the net that I can whip up that puts out an exact freq.

Thansk

No I doubt the time scale (actually the horizontal time base) is off but more likely the signal output is off. Remember I said that signal is not to be used for actual calibration but rather when using vertical probes it is used to set probe compensation. I strongly suggest that you do not attempt to adjust any internal adjustments. The chances are as it sits that scope is more accurate than anything you can "whip" together. Remember that output you are using as a signal is just approximately a 1 KHz .5 volt square wave signal.

Ron

Ok I really do appreciate this and I understand it must be frustrating for you lot to go over the same thing again and again.
I will now stop asking about the accuracy of my machine and actually now ready ALL literature I have been linked to and can find.

Thanks very much all.

No doubt I will have more Q`s in the future.

When you have questions just ask. Sometimes reading "The Book" may leave you not understanding things so just ask. As to frustrating? No not at all. Frustrating is watching my daughter manage her checking account and money in general. :)

Ron

:) I see a little over 1.1 mS and as I recall F = 1 / T and T = 1 / F so maybe try again?

Use those links cr0sh was kind enough to provide and save that data. Read the user manual and get a feel for things.

@ cr0sh, wasn't an octopus an early Linux Distro? Thanks for the memories of building those things. I believe that eventually Huntron marketed the Huntron Tracker.

Ron

I don't know about the linux distro (earliest "distro" - if you could call it that - I played around with was something called "Monkey Linux" that ran on top of a DOS filesystem - had that running on a 386 laptop w/ 6 meg of RAM), but you are right about the Huntron (I've come across that in my research on "octopus" adaptors). One of these days I'm going to dig into my junk box(es) and find enough parts for an octopus - it looks really useful, and since I do a lot of parts junkin, it might help identify certain components - or at least if they are good or not.

...but I really want to get one of those Altlas DCAs:

Peak Electronic Design Limited - Atlas DCA - Semiconductor Analyser - Model DCA55

That's a little bit of pure awesome right there - I have several devices that have house numbers on them that I don't know if they are transistors, fets, or regulators (or something else); that tool would at least get me some better info on them...

<SNIP>One of these days I'm going to dig into my junk box(es) and find enough parts for an octopus - it looks really useful, and since I do a lot of parts junkin, it might help identify certain components - or at least if they are good or not.

...but I really want to get one of those Altlas DCAs:

Peak Electronic Design Limited - Atlas DCA - Semiconductor Analyser - Model DCA55

That's a little bit of pure awesome right there - I have several devices that have house numbers on them that I don't know if they are transistors, fets, or regulators (or something else); that tool would at least get me some better info on them...

I have one of these and it's a fantastic bit of kit, especially for a "junker". If you have the spare cash, you'll likely not regret buying one.

That thing is slick. Looking at about $70 USD so well under $100 when all is said and done. Generally I wouldn't think twice but have my annual "Ron Trip" as my wife calls it next week. I throw my junk in my truck and just go for a few weeks. I visit friends down south and just go as she says. Been stashing my blow money for that. Looking forward to it to. :)

Ron

That sounds like great fun Reloadron.

and yes I to collect all sorts of things.
My better half says things like

"Why you keeping that"

I say

"Well ya never know"

Normally she is right but Shhhhhh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back