Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

oscilloscopes tektronix 2205 20mhz info please

Status
Not open for further replies.

stk2008

Hi all long time I have been away a lot has happened in this time but I wont bore you with that :p.

I am getting one of these soon and want to know if there normally reliable or if there is normally common faults with them.

Thanks

Tektronix makes very reliable equipment. I've never heard of any significant problems with any of their oscilloscopes.

Tektronix is considered by many to be a reliable manufacturer of scopes, almost up the on-par with older HP scopes (at least, that's how I've judged people's reactions). I own a Tek 2213, and I love it (got a cart for it from a fellow forum member, too!). I don't know anything specific about the 2205, though...

Thanks.

I will be unable to test it when I pick it up you see as the man I am collecting it from will not be there but agreed to leave it safe out side and for me to post the money through his letter box (very nice of him to trust me).

Any way when I get home what sort of test should I do?.

I know there is a test point but I am not sure how to do this.

Thanks

Here is a link to the Tektronix site for your 'scope:
**broken link removed**

You should be able to download the user manual and possibly a servicing manual too.

RE the test point:
I haven't looked at your 'scope manual for clarification, but you will likely find that the test point outputs a 1 kHz square wave, 5v peak to peak. Connect the alligator clip of the probe to the ground terminal and the probe tip to the test point output.
Don't forget to adjust the probe (s) compensation too.

Once you got it going, post some pics of its output and your settings; sometimes you have to fiddle with things to get the trace to look the best (if it hasn't been adjusted recently). Good luck!

Hi all I have it now and was hoping some one could advise me on what to do to see if its ok :).

this is the buttons etc and where they are set to

**broken link removed**

this it the test point I think?

**broken link removed**

This is the results of me attaching the probe to the test point using the settings I have shown in picture 1

**broken link removed**

Please could some one help me and advise as to if the results shown on the screen are in fact accurate.

Thanks

Last edited:
Why don't you upload the images to this site rather than link to another site. Unfortunately I can't see the links from here at work.

Ron

Hi lads I have been playing with the dials and tbh I really need help hahahaha.

I cant figure out what I should have all the dials and stuff on and what I should be getting on the screen please advise.

Thanks

Actually - from what I could see from your pics, the scope looks like it might be fine (you'd want to check both channels, of course). You probably need to adjust the calibration knobs slightly, plus you might want to adjust focus and rotation a bit (hard to tell).

Anything further - download or find a copy of the manual(s) for your scope, and -read- them. There are also a few good scope tutorials on the web which can help; I don't have links handy at the moment, but when I get home tonight, I will post them to this thread for you.

But all-in-all - it looks like for the single channel (with the settings pictured) that the scope looks ok; the volts-per-division seem to match up with the trace, and so does the time division numbers (volts is vertical, time is horizontal). There does seem to be a bit of fuzzyness to the trace (whether this is because of the trace not being focused, or because of the implosion shield being scratched or otherwise marred - I'm not sure; if it is the former, it is easy to adjust - if it is the latter, you will need a new implosion shield, which may be difficult to get - for my 2213, I had to get one from yugoslavia via a company here in the states; it was fairly cheap, though; whatever you do, don't run the scope for any length of time without the implosion shield fitted - running it briefly to verify the trace intensity and focus without the shield is ok - while wearing goggles - but in general use, always have a shield).

Hi thanks for the reply.

I think it is fuzzy I have set it to focus as good as I could and still get a little fuzz going on.

Will it harm it any more using it as it is with the existing shield I hope not as I have no money to repair it :(.

All so you say the reading are fine and I wont say your wrong as you know way more than me about these things but I seem to be reading it wrong could you please help explain.

Here is what I see

**broken link removed**

Thanks.

EDIT damn thats blurry if you cant read it I will try to make it more readable.

Thanks

Last edited:
Not bad. OK looking back at your first image. The cal signal out that you are looking at is a 1KHz 500 millivolt. Looks like your channel 1 volts/div is set at 1 volt. Remember a scope displays a peak to peak value. If you use the vertical position to drop your trace just a little so the center line is centered on the trace the tops of the square wave will be about 2.5 minor divisions. With your settings of 1 volt per division that is a major division. You have a 1/2 volt signal which would be 2.5 minor divisions and that is what I see. Try increasing your vertical gain to like .5 volt/div and you will see the trace occupy one major division.

A scope is a tool and like any tool takes a little learning to use it right and understand it as well as its capabilities.

I strongly agree with Cr0sh in that you need to find a few tutorials. I will also suggest you do not attempt to measure signals like line voltages till you really understand your new tool. :)

Ron

Thanks for all the help really appreciate it.

And yes I have purchased this but have no idea how to use it :).

That was a great explanation and I now see the volts.

But I still cant see the time reading as I see it reading six divisions when the sec/div was 1 all so 1.

Could you explain the working on this to please or does this one need calibrating a little?.

Thanks

I strongly agree with Cr0sh in that you need to find a few tutorials. I will also suggest you do not attempt to measure signals like line voltages till you really understand your new tool. :)

Most definitely this; doing so without understanding what is going on (and without having an isolation transformer) can ruin your day (or at least your scope).

Also - notice that other input "Z" - what that does is modulate the brightness of the trace (it can also be used as a trigger input - triggering is where the signal, when it goes high or low based on the switch setting - will cause the trace to start from the left and scan to the right, then wait for the next trigger); you may notice the various settings on the scope for "TV"; basically, if you hook things up right, and set the settings right - you can use the scope as a form of TV monitor. That isn't the real purpose, of course - but its one of the interesting things you can do with it.

You might also want to look into an "octopus" o-scope interface - this is real simple interface you can build that you can plug into your scope, and it will show a lissajous pattern, which - given different components under test - you can troubleshoot these components in a graphical manner. I've never used one, and only recently read about them - but it looks like a real handy tool to have for the scope.

Last edited:
Hey :) to be honest I would never dream of it at this stage measuring 240v or any thing like that though I have with a multimeter loads of times though that is a different kettle of fish and I do know that Oscilloscopes use the same earth as the line its measuring.

Would I b right in thinking that the time reading is slightly out?.

Thanks

EDIT

Wow that video is good but tbh I would not want to mess with mine like that...yet any way :p

Last edited:
Your Time/Div is set to 1 mS div and the test signal is 1 KHz so yes, you should be seeing one rep of the square wave per div. However, that square wave signal is really there more for setting up the compensation when using a probe like a 10X probe on the vertical inputs. The 1 KHz should not be considered very accurate for calibration of the scope's time base. More than likely the 1 KHz isn't. OPen it up a little and try setting .5 mS / Div.

However, how about this. Looks to me like the time base is set at 1 mS / Div so you tell me what you think the frrequency actually is if we assume the time base to be accurate. :)

Ron

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back