Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Orcad - difference between off-page connector and port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphadog

Banned
I have learnd that for connecting two schematic pages, you can use off-page connectors with the same name in the desired page.
On the other hand, I saw an engineer uses ports to connect two schematic pages.

What is the difference between ports and off-page connector, and what is more common?

Thanks.

Yeah.
You know, I'm studying Orcad from the link you once gave me, and they teach it very well.
I guess that the problem is that this file was written in 2002 and maybe then it was common to use off-page connectors.

Are you familiar with anything that is more up to date?

I am not aware. I found it, it suited my purposes and so I never bothered to look for another one. I actually didn't read it or follow it as closely as you. I mainly used it to figure out how to convert a schematic to a layout and how footprints worked on both capture and layout.

Last edited:
I've always used off page connectors with the same name, but that was the way i was taught in school. They have always worked fine for me but i have never used ports.

Not sure of the difference. Whatever works i guess, depends on the application.

We have classes in university where they teach us how to use CAD software.

Maxx is on the right track. Ports are for hierarchical schematics. Fortuneately, these can usually be avoided! Just use the off-page connectors. And if you are not going off-page, just use a net alias and not an off-page connector.

WHat is a hierarchal block? I could never understand what the help files were talking about. THe best I could get was it let you make a resusable "black-box" type component.

Apparently you can also do the same thing for a PCB layout.

Net alias does not go offpage

Maxx, that is not correct! They may do so, but those nets will not be connected without an off-page connector!
To be certain of what I speak, i just tested this. When you generate a netlist, you will find OrCad will append some numbers to one of the net-names, making them distinct nets.
To connect nets on different pages, that is what off-page connectors are for!
A good reason to avoid using off-page connectors when a net does NOT go off-page is that you can pick up design rule errors in the design rules check.
Sadly, I am something of an expert, as I do this all day long :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back