Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opto sensors on a geartrain (Tamiya Double Gearbox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just incase anyone is following the thread... Heres the chassis with a solderless breadboard on top and spacers for a daughterboard on front.**broken link removed**

Mmm...daughter board. I can already see all kinds of IR/sonar sensor arrays, along with countless other things, maybe like a front attachment with a couple wheels and a mini robotic arm?

Random ideas...I've been up for about 20 hours.

It's a really small beastie. less than 5" long and 4.5" wide. I've been tossing the idea of a pair of servo connectors / or a trimpot that's jumper selectable.
The top facing connector and front facing connector are for expansion. I could wire them to hook directly to a LCD... It's also designed to mount a Maxstream XBee radio.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
very nice bot indeed. haven't seen a tidier one for years...
only 1 thing: the programming socket isn't placed very well... try not to use the angled one..
Also if possible add at least one "power line" to the solderles board on top. you know the long ones with all holes connected usually used for 5V and GND...

**broken link removed**
bloody-orc said:
very nice bot indeed. haven't seen a tidier one for years...
only 1 thing: the programming socket isn't placed very well... try not to use the angled one..
Also if possible add at least one "power line" to the solderles board on top. you know the long ones with all holes connected usually used for 5V and GND...
There is room for the power strip on the breadboard, I'll add it. The reason for the right angle connector is so it can be programmed / debugged when a front mounted PCB is stacked on. I'm using a open 2x3 RA connector for a pair of servos that hook into RA6 & 7. I'm trying to squeeze a trimpot on the upper right (jumper selectable) and the 16 pin connector will just happen to support a typical LCD in a pinch. I'll see if I can squeeze a XBee just above the rear ball caster with the antenna extending. I'll add a picture shortly.

Last edited:
Those steppers are huge. Aren't they more suited to driving a CNC lathe or similar.

Mike.
P.S. These one's,
3_110-jpg.3002

williB said:
William thought you might like to see my robotic car,
i had it scurring around on the floor , connected to a pc.
Those sure are stepper motors on the drive wheels. Nice bot.

With smaller steppers (ones that draw less than 500ma) you could use a ULN2803 driver IC.

Last edited:
blueroomelectronics said:
I've used it for a couple of years. The more you use it the faster you can draw with it, and it's actually fun to use.

There is a free version called Google Sketchup.
thank you !

3d Models

Hi I was wondering if you could post the 3d models for the tamiya gearbox and the ball caster, I'm starting a similar project and I would love to have a 3D mechanical model of the robot. Thank You

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back