Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

optiquest flat screen monitor broke

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulmars

model Q7. Screen goes blank after 10-30 minutes. If I turn it off for long enough, it will work again for a while. Sometimes when I turn it back on the image flickers rapidly. I removed the over and the metal shroud over one of the circuit board and set a fan to blow air over it. This did not help.

Ideas?

paul

Quite often a dried out electrolytic capacitor in the power supply.

If you don't have an ESR meter to test them, just try and replace them - won't cost too much if it doesn't work.

I've fixed three LCD monitors all with the same problems as yours this way and they are all still going strong.

thanks would a picture help identify the most likely cap(s)? Several have slightly bowed tops, which I thought indicated over heating.

Bowed tops = bad

One of my monitors had no bowed caps but they were still knackered - they had dried out and once replaced worked fine.

For the sake of pennies get them replaced and see if it helps. I think a complete set of caps for one of my monitors (from RS who aren't cheap !) were around £3

Don't get cheap caps, get proper low ESR switch mode caps at 105 degrees C and see what happens.

ok, but from RS? When I took electronics in hi school and at the tech center everyone said stay away from RS. Now that was 20+ years ago, but are they actually better now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back