Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opinions on variable power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlouie

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and haven't touched a soldering iron or breadboard in many a year, but recently saw some parts on Ebay and now I'm getting back into the hobby that I loved as a teenager (20+ yrs ago).

A quick question for the more experienced: I saw a digital variable power supply for around $75, that can provide 0-18V and 0-3 Amps. I've seen higher voltage and amperage models, but I was thinking that most of what I would make would run off batteries eventually.

any opinions on 18V or higher and the brand OTE?

thanks in advance,
John Louie

75 bucks is a good deal, IMHO.

You might be able to build one for a little less. Link below shows a good dual voltage regulator. Shows how to make it fixed, or variable by changing R2 and R4 to a dual ganged 5k potentiometer.

**broken link removed**

I built my first regulator w/ LM 317 years ago, and it still works very well.

If you need more current, you can substitute the 317 with the LM 338 in the above link. The 338 is a 5 amp regulator. With the LM 338 substituted in, all connections and all other components are exactly the same. ref: https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2003/05/LM138.pdf for more info.

This ham radio club link also has a tutorial on voltage regulator circuits:

**broken link removed**

Not everyone is comfortable building a power supply, but its a good way to learn and gain experience.

first things first

thanks for all the links and opinions.

I recall being frustrated back as a teenager when I didn't have the right power source for a project. Memories of taping together endless D size batteries come to mind. :oops: So I thought that now that I can spend a little more money on this hobby, I'd get a nice variable power supply.

With all the other things that could possibly go wrong in building a circuit, its nice to remove the power as an X factor. I did once make a simple AC to DC converter, but given the relative danger of an AC project, I'll hold off on that one for a little while.

This is a great resource. I can't wait to get the parts in the mail and build some of the projects here.

ps. I found a cheap 8-20v 200mA power supply on Ebay that I'll use for now. Actually it was a set of 4 of them.

thanks again
John Louie

Variable supplies

I've been messing around with this hobby since around 1962 and used to think that I had to have a variable supply ... then a variable supply that would go all the way to zero volts and up to infinity ... then a bi-polar variable supply ... then a triple supply .... etc. However, the only times that I've really needed a variable supply were for theory experiments rather than a practical application. When working with nearly any digital or analog project, I've been very happy with fixed +5, +12 and -12 volt supplies. If I were building by own box, I'd have a raw supply with plenty of overhead and then run several fixed supplies, preferably cascading them so that the lower-voltage regulators don't have to bear the high overhead. Then I'd run bipolar sets for ±5, ±9, ±12, ±15, ±18 and ±24 volts. Plenty of capability, low cost and no frills.

Dean

I don't suppose you to rip devices and stuff for getting your parts,
but bear in mind that some neat devices (relays, coils, etc.) work from
a more industrial-style 24V DC. So I would prefer the 0-30V 0-3A style.

But if you just want to get back to a few circuits, just for fun. There you go.
With 75 bucks, that would not even be to expensive, mine once cost over a 120 bucks ! Be sure that its output is short-circuit protected and
if possible this short-circuit protection can be regulated.

You might upgrade later, if you really need to or even get other power supplies then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back