Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Opinions on Realistic DX Models

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I am still considering Mike MI' s suggestion from several weeks ago about using a LW radio to detect a crystal's true oscillating frequency. The Kenwood 1000 or 2000 are nice and not particularly expensive, but I do not currently listen to much radio.

Realistic communication radios can be had for 1/3 to 1/4 the cost. Specifically, I am looking at and would like insights on the DX302, DX380, and DX440. Based on what I have read, my ranking is DX302>DX440>>DX380 for various testing purposes, as well as maybe getting hooked on the hobby. Or, should the order be DX302>>DX440>DX380?

Comments?

John

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike.

I have read a lot of reviews. That is why I included the DX380. The DX-302 is said to go to 10 KHz (!), which is why I listed it first.

I don't think I would go wrong with any of the three at the right price. But if at the same price...?

John

Last edited:
John, if you are looking for a receiver which will be used as test equipment from time to time, I would suggest the DX302.
A very similar receiver is the Yaesu FRG7 (not the FRG770 which is somewhat different), it could be that the DX302 is basically a "Badge Engineered" FRG7, there were several clones of the FRG7 at one time.

JimB

Nigel, what are your plans for the stuff?

I don't know yet - it was from a guy I've known for years, and he had added me to his will, leaving me his beloved JRC gear and radio tower.

However, he's not died :D - but he decided to 'splash out' on a nice new super-duper rig, so has given me his old gear now (except for the tower).

He's hoping I might become an active ham again, at the moment I'm still thinking about it - and considering getting my licence back (if I can find the previous one :p).

I was given this a few days go:
TF2370 027.JPG

A Marconi TF2370 Spectrum Analyser.
It is a shame that it does not work.

JimB

I was given this a few days go:
View attachment 94943

A Marconi TF2370 Spectrum Analyser.
It is a shame that it does not work.

Nice :D

Is it completely dead?, if so it might be a fairly easy fix?.

Funnily enough the new radio my friend bought has a spectrum analyser built in - so you can look at the entire amateur band and see if there are any transmissions - I told him I considered that 'cheating' :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back