Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

opamp amplifier dc offset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diy didi

Good day all
I have built this circuit as part of a little audio mixer.
Im getting a 200mV DC on the output pin. Opamp is not oscillating at all, actually perfectly clean DC.
I have tried different bipolar and JFET opamps.
This is a dual opamp and both sections have the same resistors.
I also tried a resistor on pins3/5. No difference.
Can anyone help? thanks!

Attachments

• Doc.pdf
    157 KB · Views: 158
Audio has frequencies as low as 20Hz but your opamp circuit is amplifying DC with its voltage gain of 47 times. Add a input coupling capacitor so that its DC gain is only 1. Using an input capacitor and with the fairly low value 47k feedback resistor then the opamp should have a low input bias current. If the opamp has a high input bias current then the other input should have a resistor to ground with the same value as the feedback resistor, and a capacitor to ground.
For -3dB at 20Hz then the value of the coupling capacitor would be 8uF and for a flat response at 20Hz the capacitor value should be 40uF which is huge.

Why are the resistor values so low? I would use 470k and 10k for the same gain as you have (using a modern OPA2134 dual audio opamp) then the input impedance would be 10 times higher and the capacitor values would be 1/10th. The OPA2134 is low noise and low distortion and has Jfet inputs with almost no input bias current.

If the opamp has a high input bias current then the other input should have a resistor to ground with the same value as the feedback resistor, and a capacitor to ground.
Yes on the resistor, no on the capacitor. The "other input" is the non-inverting one, and needs a DC path to GND (or some other voltage) to set the output DC voltage level.

ak

Maybe. I took it to be a series cap, same as what you would use in a non-inverting amp configuration from the inverting input to GND. But he might mean a cap in parallel with the bias current balancing resistor. Don't think I've seen that before.

ak

"The other input should have a resistor to ground and a capacitor to ground" so of course they are parallel, not in series. The bypass capacitor prevents interference pickup. But a modern opamp with a very low input bias current does not need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back