Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op-amp oscillation help

Status
Not open for further replies.

eyAyXGhF

Hey guys,
I was having problems with a circuit oscillating today. I've posted the relevant part of the schematic.

First of all, forgive me if this thing is a mess. This is a circuit board that has gone through a few changes by a few different people. Basically, there is a sensor (P12) at the top that outputs 2.5 > 1V DC and it gets scaled and offset (with pot RV5) so the output at P21 is approx -.2V - 10V.

P66 is a point that was added to include an external DC signal. This was added to the non-inverting side of the op-amp because of the nature of the signal and how it needs to control the output voltage is a non-inverting way.

Wires to P66 and P21 are run approx 12" bundled next to each other. This is what I noticed was causing the circuit to oscillate today. When the wires were bundled tight, oscillation would happen (about 60khz) at the output of the op-amp U5A. When I loosened the wire bundle, the oscillation would stop.

The confusing part about this was that this has been built before, and no oscillation has ever occurred. One thing that I changed though was the OP-AMP manufacturer being used, from an STM TL074CN to a TI TL074CN. But, I figured they'd be exactly the same. The op-amp is bypassed with .1uF caps right next to the chip.

After poking around and trying a few different things, the oscillation stopped when I put a .1uF cap across R55 (or from P66 to ground).

Sure that's great that adding a capacitor seems to have stopped the oscillation, but I don't know why it does. So that's why I'm posting :)

Attachments

• circuit-problem1.png
    circuit-problem1.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 178
R51 and the added cap form a low-pass filter which severely attenuates high (e.g. 60kHz) frequencies. Hence the high frequency loop gain is below the point at which oscillation can occur. The oscillation was presumably caused by circuit stray inductance/capacitance allowing positive feedback to the opamp input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back