Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op-amp mathematics - division

Status
Not open for further replies.

mroberts

Contemplating making an intake air density meter for my car. Part plan, part thought experiment.

I have a MAP sensor and can add a thermistor. These will give me voltage readings more or less proportional to temperature and pressure.

Using op-amps (or other linear devices) is it possible to divide pressure by temperature and thus obtain a relative density ?

In theory this would be useful for evaluating intake modifications as most have a tendency to trade between heat and pressure loss - i.e. remove the entire intake, and you get low pressure / drag losses, but increase temp. On the other hand, a long cold air intake may reduce the intake pressure such that you lose out again.

I know this could be done with a PIC, or probably even a PICAXE, but I'm curious if it can be done without it.

Since the function probably does not provide a fixed divisor, something like a four-quadrant multiplier might do what you want. That's a form of voltage-controlled amplifier. Sorry I can't come up with any device numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back