Op-amp mathematics - division

Status
Not open for further replies.

mroberts

Contemplating making an intake air density meter for my car. Part plan, part thought experiment.

I have a MAP sensor and can add a thermistor. These will give me voltage readings more or less proportional to temperature and pressure.

Using op-amps (or other linear devices) is it possible to divide pressure by temperature and thus obtain a relative density ?

In theory this would be useful for evaluating intake modifications as most have a tendency to trade between heat and pressure loss - i.e. remove the entire intake, and you get low pressure / drag losses, but increase temp. On the other hand, a long cold air intake may reduce the intake pressure such that you lose out again.

I know this could be done with a PIC, or probably even a PICAXE, but I'm curious if it can be done without it.

Since the function probably does not provide a fixed divisor, something like a four-quadrant multiplier might do what you want. That's a form of voltage-controlled amplifier. Sorry I can't come up with any device numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…