Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Op Amp Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_pay

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to make a small amplifier for low-ish frequencies. 10 to 800 Hz.

I was planning to use a LM380 amplifier IC. However I have come across some problems.

1) What is the 'Bypass' pin? Do I need to put a capacitor on it?

2) What size AC coupling capacitor (on the input) should I use? Is there anything to govern this?

3) Can I put an AC input into the IC's input? The circuit only has single power supply (0 - 10v)

4) The IC has a fixed gain. I am only using the non-inverting input. What should I do with the inverting input? Do I let it float?

Thank you so much; in advanced. I'm sure that these questions are so simple and I'm just missing something. I'm so sorry.

Tom

Hi Everyone,

I was planning to use a LM380 amplifier IC. However I have come across some problems.

2) What size AC coupling capacitor (on the input) should I use? Is there anything to govern this?

3) Can I put an AC input into the IC's input? The circuit only has single power supply (0 - 10v)

4) The IC has a fixed gain. I am only using the non-inverting input. What should I do with the inverting input? Do I let it float?

Thank you so much; in advanced. I'm sure that these questions are so simple and I'm just missing something. I'm so sorry.

Tom

hi Tom,
Do yo have this LM380 app note pdf.?

Attachments

• LM380_app_note.pdf
    214 KB · Views: 175
Hi

Yes, I have got that document. Unfortunately I cannot make any sense of it. I'm still stuck. Sorry!

Tom

Hi Everyone,

Look at image1, it decoupling for the input stage, the value of the decoupling cap determines the power line noise freq/attenuation

The input impedance is quoted a 150K, so if a input capacitor is used the required operating frequency range of the amp will set its value.

Yes, you require an input capacitor

The datasheet says it can be left disconnected

Tom

hi,
As you want to operate with low freq 10 thru 800Hz, use an input capacitor to suit.

What is the source of the input signal.?

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 137
Hi,

1) So the Bypass line needs a small capacitor (Say 5uF) to keep noise out of the power line. Like the capacitor usually put on the power lines on a PIC. Why isn't it just put there? On the power traces just before the IC?

2) For the coupling cap should I use the high pass filter formula?

3) Is this capacitor the AC Coupling capacitor.

I'm very sorry if I seem to be ignorant, but I'm really confused.

Thanks

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back